Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zippers

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Found em!

talonzipperad.jpg

talonadzippers.jpg

1949_talonCasualClothes.jpg

Sorry the middle one is not great, but I think I still have some more so will keep searching

as for Biltmore Bob, saw the new avatar and thought he was back. That avatar is just his sense of humour!

Cheers

Peter

"Its correct name is Talon slide fastener. It's written on the tab" - so say the Talon ads in the 30s apparel arts. Clearly Talon were sick of people calling it a zip.

Okay ... a new yin fur ye: "Hercules Luster-Chino Sanforized Army Twill. Sears, Roebuck and Co. USA" very old Sears label (poss. 30s).The heavy (appears to be brass) zipper reads "Scovill" and "Gripper Zipper" on the slide pull.

This is on a grey cotton, appears to be gardening-type, very casual jacket. Two angled, flapless waist pockets and one buttoned chest pocket. Pics if interested ...

bk

whoops. I've 'ad one too many!

nightandthecity

Practically Family
TALON 42 ZIPS

OK, calling all fellow ZIPAHOLIC slide fastener anoraks (BT? Alan E?)

Anyone know exactly when the Talon 42 zip was introduced? I know it was in the 1960s but so far I can't find a more precise date.

I am about to list a pair of 1960s cavalry twill pants on ebay and they have a little sales tag referring to "THE NEW" talon 42 zip, so I guess if I can date the introduction of the 42 I can date the pants a little more precisely, which will make them more sellable, which will make me a little bit richer....

Someone on this lounge must know!

nightandthecity

Practically Family
well damn, I thought you might know BT! Actually, I thought I had the date somewhere in one of my Japanese denim books, but if so it's miraculously erased itself..as these things do.

Yep, not been around this bar for a long time. Too busy earning a crust and raising a family etc etc. But I haven't forgotten y'all!!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
metal zipper care

Hello, everyone. I'm sure this has been covered before in some thread here on the FL, but for the life of me I'm not finding it in the huge lists of results that come up when I search for "metal zipper" or "metal zipper care"...

I'm wondering if there's any way to breathe some extra life into old metal zippers? I have a number of dresses with metal side or back zippers. While the zippers are still in decent shape, they do tend to catch/stick a lot and have started to become increasingly difficult... and I am dreading the day when I ruin a 1940s dress because the zipper has stuck.

Is there anything one can do to maintain a metal zipper or to improve its action? Can/should zippers be oiled/lubricated?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
Hello, everyone. I'm sure this has been covered before in some thread here on the FL, but for the life of me I'm not finding it in the huge lists of results that come up when I search for "metal zipper" or "metal zipper care"...

I'm wondering if there's any way to breathe some extra life into old metal zippers? I have a number of dresses with metal side or back zippers. While the zippers are still in decent shape, they do tend to catch/stick a lot and have started to become increasingly difficult... and I am dreading the day when I ruin a 1940s dress because the zipper has stuck.

Is there anything one can do to maintain a metal zipper or to improve its action? Can/should zippers be oiled/lubricated?

You might try running the teeth down a cake of beeswax, like what tailors use to lubricate their needles and thread.

dnjan

One Too Many
I prefer using the stub of a candle to beeswax. Rub the candle stub on the zipper teeth. (That is what my mother taught me back in the 60's).

Also, sometimes the body of the zipper can become loose, and fail to cause the teeth to properly engage. You can use a pliers to pinch the front and back of the zipper closer together (this also works on nylon zippers).

I don't know about tailors, but as a leatherworker I use beeswax on the needle in order to get better grip with my fingers. I also use the beeswax on the stitching cord, but that is to improve grip on the cord when I tighten the stitches. It also reduces wear on the cord.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for your help, folks. I did some research online and also found some references to using Singer sewing machine oil. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Feraud

Bartender
BellyTank said:
'50s, maybe later... Sorry.
Gripper Zippers aren't so very old... I think.
And Scovill isn't as old as Talon.

I tink.
B
T

What is the time frame for the use of Gripper Zippers? I have a suit that uses one and I am trying to get an idea of the date of manufacture.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I have seen quite a few trousers I'd date as 1950s with Gripper Zippers...come to think of it I don't think I've seen them on anything other than 50s gear.

Lee Japan uses them on some of their repro denim, which may mean that the brand still exists or may simply mean that Lee has had them copied.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic