Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zippers

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I love this thread! :)

I do have a zipper that is a bit curious to me, I was wondering if you lovely gentlemen could help me out.

Its in a hand made sweater from Wyoming (there is a Bronco knit on the back) I got in a vintage store a while back. I dont think this was its original use, but repurposed.

zipper11.jpg
zipper12.jpg
zipper1.jpg

The maker is Clarks Coats (CC), but I have never seen teeth so close together. Any idea as to the zippers original use? Im thinking some sort of heavy jacket due to the color and teeth, but Im not sure.

Thanks gents,

LD

Kassia

One of the Regulars
I also found this..

On a CBC-produced miniseries aired in January 2007, The Greatest Canadian Invention; the Zipper placed at No. 8 on the list. It qualified because Sundback had been president of a Canadian-based company that was one of the earliest manufacturers of the zipper.

eniksleestack

One of the Regulars
Dating this Zipper?

Can anyone give me a reasonable guess for the era of this zipper pull?

goldlame14sm.jpg

If it helps, it was attached to this Asian-style gold lamé dress:

goldlame1sm.jpg

I was guessing maybe 40s or 50s, there are no tags so the zipper and the cut. look of the dress are the only clues to age. Thanks in advance for the expertise.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alan Eardley said:
Baron,

It's a description and a diagram (of how to install one). I'll see if I can find the booklet tonight...

Meanwhile...for your enjoyment, here's the bad boy of British zips - the 1940s Lightning, as fitted to WW2 Irvin and early bike jackets (this is on a Belstaff). The words rough, big and industrial spring to mind. When people on other forums call the RiRi's that ELC uses on its Irvin copies 'accurate', it brings a smile to my face...
Lightning2.jpg

Alan

I have just come across this old thread on zips and was wondering if anyone knows when the Lightning zip in the picture was first used? The earliest I have seen it used is on a 1940 contract Links Irvin.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Kassia said:
I also found this..

On a CBC-produced miniseries aired in January 2007, The Greatest Canadian Invention; the Zipper placed at No. 8 on the list. It qualified because Sundback had been president of a Canadian-based company that was one of the earliest manufacturers of the zipper.

Correct! I refer you to the classic text book, 'Talon: a Romance of Achievement' for the full story. See numerous references on previous threads.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
As far as a I can find out, Clark Coats was associated with Crown zippers.

Lady Day said:
I love this thread! :)

I do have a zipper that is a bit curious to me, I was wondering if you lovely gentlemen could help me out.

The maker is Clarks Coats (CC), but I have never seen teeth so close together. Any idea as to the zippers original use? Im thinking some sort of heavy jacket due to the color and teeth, but Im not sure.

Thanks gents,

LD

H.Johnson

One Too Many
aswatland said:
I have just come across this old thread on zips and was wondering if anyone knows when the Lightning zip in the picture was first used? The earliest I have seen it used is on a 1940 contract Links Irvin.

Lightning Fasteners began in 1926 and production was moved to the Witton site in 1927. That particular zip is postwar, but the basic design was unchanged since the early 1930s, although the method of manufacture and the materials changed. The earliest garments I have seen with that pattern were middle thirties, but I'm sure they were made before then. The first series of Lightnings looked more like Talons, due to the Sunderback connection (see previous threads).

Lightning, being an offshoot of Imperial Metals, was always interested in 'special metals' - most of which didn't work due to fragility!

The company closed in 1982. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

aswatland

H.Johnson said:
That particular zip is postwar, but the basic design was unchanged since the early 1930s, although the method of manufacture and the materials changed.

The zip pull which I quoted is the typical of ones found on several of my wartime Irvins so it is clearly not post war. The earliest I have is on a 1940 contract Links Irvin jacket. I have not seen this type of pull on earlier jackets. I just want to know when this variety of Lightning zip was first made. My guess is late 1930s.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
aswatland said:
The zip pull which I quoted is the typical of ones found on several of my wartime Irvins so it is clearly not post war. The earliest I have is on a 1940 contract Links Irvin jacket. I have not seen this type of pull on earlier jackets. I just want to know when this variety of Lightning zip was first made. My guess is late 1930s.

Andrew,

I own the jacket on which that zip is mounted, and I know definitely that it IS postwar - my uncle bought it new and I still have it. I don't rule out the fact that the zip may have been in stock for some time before it was installed, though.

I have seen the Lightning records in the Birmingham city archive, and there are illustrations of that particular pattern of zip well before WW2.

aswatland

H.Johnson said:
Andrew,

I own the jacket on which that zip is mounted, and I know definitely that it IS postwar - my uncle bought it new and I still have it. I don't rule out the fact that the zip may have been in stock for some time before it was installed, though.

I have seen the Lightning records in the Birmingham city archive, and there are illustrations of that particular pattern of zip well before WW2.

I don't doubt it was bought post war, but may well be been made earlier. It was common for zips to be stockpiled and sold much later, a point Alan made last year. Your zip is identical to several lighting zips on Wartime Irvins in my collection, so even if it was made post war it is from the same pattern as used earlier. Thanks for clarifying that this style of zip dates from the 1930s.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
That's amazing! It's like seeing the impossible in reality!

This is like some of the early (pre-1920s) hookless fastener designs.

Do you know what it is?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21