Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chariots of Fire

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
One of my favourite films when it comes to nailing the look for the early part golden era.

Chariots of Fire has it all though the current DVD version looks like a transfer from a bad video tape. If you have not seen this Oscar Best Picture of 1981 then I suggest you do.

Check out the boaters and the casual attire outside of suits. Whoever worked on the films clothing really did there homework. This is I think one of the first films in recent history that got the look right.

Sunny

One Too Many
I just watched this again on Saturday with a group of brothers and friends. I wasn't paying terribly close attention (trying to hem a linen handkerchief), but if it weren't for that I would've been riveted by the fascinating detail - and for once by the men's clothes and not the women's! Thanks to you fellows I know a lot more about what I'm actually seeing. :eusa_clap It was tantalizing to wonder if they were doing it right, or if it was the usual hodge-podge. Glad to know it's got the thumbs-up!

I was, of course, interested in the women's clothes still. I do know less about the 1920s than any other part of the Golden Era, but I caught some things that I really appreciated. One was how Eric Liddell's sister Jennie wore a suit and a long coat that were definitely out of style, possibly even late teens. She clearly had a new frock when she watched him in Paris, though. And Sybil's hats! and hair! It's just beautiful in the scene in her dressing room, when she's told that Harold Abraham's won. At least waist-length, but with short cuts around the face to give that fluffy early bob look. At least in the one clear look I had at her from behind, her hair was braided up and pinned along the nape of her neck, across and not in a chignon, so as to not interfere with the crown of her hat.

Anything to add? I'd love to see pictures, if anyone has them. There's such a wealth of detail and variety that'd be fascinating to discuss.

mikepara

Practically Family
Well,

There's a lot of emphasis on this (and like) forum(s) on suits and the correct suit for the correct high status / high end occasion. This glorious film shows that [how] good dress sense was achived even in the normal day to day activities.

NRay

New in Town
the current DVD version looks like a transfer from a bad video tape

Too bad. This is one of the best movies that I have seen, and I would like to see an equally good DVD version of it.
Which DVD version did you see, Matt? I went to amazon and saw this link to one version and another link to a two disc version. I had hoped that the two disc set would be a good transfer, but if not, I will know not to invest in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou