Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion brands leather jackets: Is it worth the price tag?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I've gone back to malls and tried on some ' fashion' jackets since getting into the stuff we like on this forum.

They've all felt like garbage even if they were expensive. The patterns are horrid because they're meant to fit tall skinny models and even then, they don't fit those people correctly either. The leathers on the expensive ones might be objectively nice, but they're flimsy and feel like they would rip easily.

Fifty150

One Too Many
I do not wear my gun belt over my jacket. My gun belt is attached to my pants belt. There is no need for me to have belt keepers on my jacket.

Bluechel

Practically Family
I do not wear my gun belt over my jacket. My gun belt is attached to my pants belt. There is no need for me to have belt keepers on my jacket.
I have a few both ways, and of course I’d never use those either

Clint78

New in Town
While on assignment on The East Coast, I rode. I bought a used bike, and figured I would ride it until I got sent home. Minimal mods, minimal maintenance, sell it back to the dealership in less than a year.

Once you start riding around on a bike, and parking your bike in bike parking spots, you eventually run into other bikers. I quickly met other riders. I was riding in a MA-1. Which was okay for keeping the wind off and insulating body heat. One of the other bikers said that his cousin worked at a factory where jackets were made. He offered to take me over there.

A sweatshop. Typical old-school NYC Garment District style. Immigrants on sewing machines were probably not union, got underpaid, got no benefits. Busy. People moving racks of clothes, forklifts moving pallets, trucks being loaded on the dock. We went into the office area, which was just as frenetic. Phones ringing, desks piled with disorganized paperwork, a fan in the corner circulating cigarette smoke. People all talking at the same time with raised voices.

An old guy with a tape measure around his neck measured my chest, back, neck, arms, belly. He went out into the warehouse, and returned with a black, cross-zip jacket. The cheap kind you see being sold at department stores like Kohls and Sears. A cheap looking Schott Perfecto knock-off, which looked cheap. I try it on. He pulls and tightens the laces on the side. Pulls the sleeve down, tells me to raise my arms, and makes a chalk mark right about where my wrist was. Tells me sit on a chair. Makes a few chalk marks around the hem, and the body. He tells me $150, cash. My new friend says no way. $75. As you can guess, I paid $100 cash. It's a BS haggle game. I'll bet he tells everyone $150, and then grudgingly accepts $100, with a look of disappointment on his face. The old guy tells us to go get some beers and come back later.

As typical in NYC, we go to some hole-in-the-wall place which supposedly had "da best" of whatever they were selling. Usually, it is the best. The best in that neighborhood. Then the next neighborhood had the best in that neighborhood. This place had huge sausages, grilled, with peppers and onions, stuffed into a roll. We go to a bodega, pick up a bottle of Johnny Walker and a case of cheap beer. One of the dock workers brought the bottle into the office for the old man. We drank the beer with the guys on the loading dock. They were drinking, and driving forklifts and box trucks. Finally, the old man sent someone to tell us to go back inside.

The bottle of Johnny Walker was now 3/4 empty. Everyone in that office had a couple of shots in their coffee cups. The blue, paper, Greek diner coffee cups that you see on TV. The jacket I tried, with all the chalk marks, was still there. He gives me another jacket to try on. He tells me that they just cut a couple of pieces down to size, based on the chalk mark fitting, and then pieced it together. No problem making 1 jacket. They ship hundreds of jackets every day. I could see pre-cut pieces of leather at different work stations. It was obvious that whichever company who placed an order with them, would order pre-cut pattern pieces from overseas. They simply performed the final assembly. Sew the front of the jacket to the back of the jacket, and sew on the sleeves.

Keep in mind, that this was just a contract factory. The spray paint stencil on the factory door said something like "ABC LLC" or something like that. Larger companies, fashion labels, would send them manufacturing orders. They make the jacket, shirt, pants, or whatever, sew on whichever label, then ship it out in their own trucks to whatever stores' distribution warehouses. So they would fill an order, send a truck full of clothes to Macy's warehouse, and that warehouse would send it to different Macy's stores.

My jacket had the label of Excelled. In all fairness, I didn't expect much from a jacket they pieced together from cut down scrap pieces. It's not the best. But here it is, 2 decades later, and it has survived. I still ride motorcycles with it to this day.

View attachment 387039
Awesome story.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Awesome story.

In an ideal world, everything would be top quality, and we would all be able to afford it.

In the real world, I don't have the $$$$ of disposable income to buy a custom made leather jacket. That kind of money, for me, is better spent ...... how about on groceries? I need to eat, and feed my family, more than I need to buy a great jacket.

But don't let that dissuade you from getting the perfect leather jacket.

And don't turn into one of those guys who believes that even an inexpensive jacket serves a purpose. This forum already has one cheapskate, me, who wears inexpensive motor jackets as a functional safety item. Nobody needs to hear an echo of how you don't have to spend a fortune, to get a jacket which protects you from wind, rain, snow, and pavement.

Live the dream. Get the best leather jacket that you can find, even if you can't afford it. Buy it on credit. Make payments. You won't regret it.

Clint78

New in Town
Hi Fifty,

I totally agree. I save up and research before getting anything. I normally just went with Harley-Davidson stuff because I worked at dealerships. I have 1 solid and warm leather jacket I bought in 2003 and it still looks brand new. I've hardly used it because I've been in hot countries. So I mainly wore vented, perforated mesh jackets with armor. Now I want to up my game when I start working again I'm going to do black ironheart jeans. Merz b black tshirtz. I like a schott 626, like the cotton lining, for everyday wear, then save for a real mccoy d pocket.

What do u ride?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou