Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foreign Currency

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Though I have seen several different types of foreign currency... Which is considered the most exotic or interesting???

I have always wanted to collect some of the different types... However if one was to be a world traveler... What kind of currency should they rely on and would be the most versatile???

Also, are there any kinds of currency which have kind of stood the test of time and not changed since the golden era???

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Useful-
€€€ and USD.
There are some countries, far, far away, where people still do actually like USD
over there own currency- or at least it's good for converting into local currency.
Those who aren't in the Euro Union.

€€€, GBP and USD.
BT.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
€€€ =Euro.

The "European Currency"- apart from Denmark, Norway, Sweden....

Some of the back woods countries' Border Police used to like USD as a gift, upon entry- that and Coke and Marlboro. On a bus trip into Bulgaria, in 1994, the Coke and Marlboro gift really sped up the border crossing. But with a few of these countries having entered the EU, and the currently unfavourable USD exchange rate, maybe not so useful now. Probably still good for exchanging into local currency though.

B
T

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
In the 60s used to work part-time as a mechanic for an eccentric character who bought and sold vintage Bentley and Rolls-Royce cars - 'Purveyor of Horseless Carriages to the Nobility and Gentry' as he styled himself. He used to entertain us with stories of his time as a student at Oxford in the late 1920s. His father used to give him 20GBP to go travelling in Europe during the recess. He liked Eastern Europe particularly - Serbia, Montenegro and Croatia and points east. One one occasion he was down to his last 5GBP and almost a thousand miles from home when, on an inspiration, he stood on a table in a tavern and announced that he had a British five pound note and would sell it to the highest bidder. He made enough profit on the ensuing auction to dine out, return home by train and had a little left over. Now, that's what you get being on the Gold Standard...

Alan

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
When planning a trip (that never came off) to then-Leningrad in the 80's, all the guides suggested bringing plenty of American cigarettes - for tips.

But also warned about being caught.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I travelled in Russia in 1997 and we were advised to carry an emergency supply of mint USD - they had to be absolutely clean and unissued. I traded a spare pair of Levi's for a CCCP army greatcoat.

Alan

tonypaj

Practically Family
Well, your Visa card would be the best currency... :) Apart from that, US dollars are still fine. But it all depends on where you plan to be, if in civilized countries, they have their own currencies, and a credit card is always the easiest. If in the third world, then that depends on where. I've always carried USD with me, but only for emergencies. Otherwise it's the currency of the country...

tonypaj

P.S. The days of a pair of Levis buying a luxury weekend in Russia are over, but it was fun back then, the black market was booming and champagne was cheap...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou