Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Samurai jeans belt - how thick would be too thick?

NamoAmituofo

Familiar Face
I’ve been looking for good belts on Etsy and just ordered a couple to be made from J&FJ tannery 4.5-5mm hides which are supposed to be the Rolls Royce of belt leather in UK. Not too expensive either £59 each belt.

Then for my sins I stumped upon this one - https://www.samurai-jeans.com/en-gb/products/w001-wp-ダブルピンヘビィーカーブベルト-1

And you know what the advertised 6-8mm US steerhide just can’t get out of my head - like the Kylie Minogue song…

Before I even think about spending £220 plus shipping and duty/taxes on a belt - I wondered if there is a point that ‘what thickness would be too thick for a belt’?!

Has anyone worn this Samurai belt and if so what do you like/not like about it?

For reference I had a 15mm weight lifting belt that was made from 4 layers of god knows what leather. It did not break in but it hurt my rib cage so much each time I squatted so eventually I sold it and lifted raw without a belt.

I won’t wear a belt that thickness for good look!

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
That is a lovely belt. My thickest belts are 5 mm, and there is absolutely no issue with comfort. 5-8 mm is a pretty wide range; I'd get in touch with them regarding actual thickness before plunking down the cash. 5 mm is about 12-oz; anybody can get that thickness, and it is not worth the money they are asking. 7-8 mm is a bit of a different story.

Bennarion

One Too Many
This is an excellent belt, it has a cast powerful buckle. The belt width of 4.5 cm is the golden mean. It is well suited for heavy jeans of 21-25 oz in sizes from 34 and above.
IMG_20240519_071715_139.jpg
IMG_20240519_071733_634.jpg
IMG_20240519_071725_522.jpg
IMG_20240519_071751_340.jpg
IMG_20240519_071804_619.jpg

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Lovely.

I wouldn’t worry about comfort. I have an oxleather belt from a local shop (Kreis Ledernanufaktur in Offenbach for those who care to look) which is 8-10mm.
It’s an absolut monument of a belt, but can be worn without issue.

NamoAmituofo

Familiar Face
Thank you very much gents for the informative replies. I’ll see what my 5mm belt wears like once it’s made in a couple of weeks time. I’ll keep an eye out for the Samurai on eBay should one ever surface in my size 34 or 36 if I push it.

Like said I also don’t think this beast of belt would fit into any of my jeans trousers loops - perhaps with the exception of Patagonia iron forge hemp trousers which I need to take out to see how much space is left after a 38mm (1.25 inch) belt is fastened.

I also think from a physics perspective if I ‘stuff’ a thick belt into loops tight - it will break/rip the denim fabric or stitching faster due to Constant force applied especially when bending down.

Do Samurai jeans come with really wide loops?!

I find it that belts that are too thick, as in above 0.5 mm, don't really do anything for keeping your pants in pace as you can't get them to naturally shape around your waist.

NamoAmituofo

Familiar Face
I agree this is overpriced - this is what I ordered https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/841761243/

One 32mm in London tan for summer chinos, and one 38mm in brown for jeans and cargo shorts.

Leather makers with websites will charge close to £100 for J&FJ oak bark tanned butt hide belt, because they need to pay for Google advertising. I like buying from Etsy sellers as some of them are just as skilled and the leather material is identical.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I had one of those some time ago:
https://www.lukes-custom-belts.de/shop/made-by-luke.-guertel/bear/
it was wearable, the workmanship is really nice as is the guy. But I prefer lighter/thinner ones therefore I sold it. Be aware that not all pants/trouser have loops that are designed for such thick leather! View attachment 615026 View attachment 615027

Good god! That’s like wearing a steak around your waist!! I think when it’s too thick to fit the tail under the belt loop, it’s going to be too thick for me.

I prefer Texas Ranger style belts, with the thinner strap and buckle stitched to the wider body.

andyone

A-List Customer
Good god! That’s like wearing a steak around your waist!! I think when it’s too thick to fit the tail under the belt loop, it’s going to be too thick for me.

I prefer Texas Ranger style belts, with the thinner strap and buckle stitched to the wider body.
But not a tomahawk steak - rather a flat iron steak…
But yes - it was a biest and I also prefer thinner belts. I got some nice ones from the same guy. Choice of leathers, nice buckles and perfect service…

hardlyworkingman

Familiar Face
Under 5 they are easily wearable. past 5mm they become a utility belt. I have 2 of my belts in this picture, Filson double belt (left - 8 mm), Filson bridle belt (right - 4mm).

8 mm, belt gets used only if i am carrying my ruger alaskan (almost weighs 5 lbs when loaded along with holster), which is pretty rare.

filson.jpg

NamoAmituofo

Familiar Face
I succumbed to temptation and bought one nearly new Samurai belt size 36 off eBay - at nearly retail price once I pay custom duties etc. currently enroute from US to UK.

I could have bought one from their UK website but they only have size 32 which I believe is too short for me - I wear 30-32 trousers so 34 belt would be ideal size but I reckon given this is a beast of a belt 36 would be fine for me.

Immediately I now have two new problems:

1) buy some jeans that have belt loops big enough for this beast

2) worry if my aero KoTR jacket can fit over this belt! I ordered 19” hem width and reckon the cutting has probably been done already. Even not, I wouldn’t change it for the sake of fitting over a big belt

That may lead to problem 3) if I can only wear this belt under my size 40 aero HWM, but then this belt is in tan and my HWM is in black - what a miss match…

Still I wouldn’t buy such a belt in black as I’d love to see how the tan color develops over years of usage

The list of problems and paradoxes continues… such is the nature of (my) human stupidity.

Now some of you may be thinking about getting a Samurai belt!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
if I can only wear this belt under my size 40 aero HWM, but then this belt is in tan and my HWM is in black - what a miss match…
I think matching all the leather colors throughout an outfit looks a bit silly and uninspired. I used to do so myself for years though lol.

An outfit that looks coherent but isn't perfectly color matched looks much more playful imo.

Black jacket, dark brown belt (doesn't show in the pic) chocolate brown suede boots.

A2FA4787-7004-4D8D-B99B-6421EB16C579.jpeg

NamoAmituofo

Familiar Face
That jacket is a perfect fit for you! I couldn’t tell it’s black more dark brown I’d say - perhaps it’s because of the lighting or brown mutton collar that gives the dark brown impression

hardlyworkingman

Familiar Face
I succumbed to temptation and bought one nearly new Samurai belt size 36 off eBay - at nearly retail price once I pay custom duties etc. currently enroute from US to UK.

I could have bought one from their UK website but they only have size 32 which I believe is too short for me - I wear 30-32 trousers so 34 belt would be ideal size but I reckon given this is a beast of a belt 36 would be fine for me.

Immediately I now have two new problems:

1) buy some jeans that have belt loops big enough for this beast

2) worry if my aero KoTR jacket can fit over this belt! I ordered 19” hem width and reckon the cutting has probably been done already. Even not, I wouldn’t change it for the sake of fitting over a big belt

That may lead to problem 3) if I can only wear this belt under my size 40 aero HWM, but then this belt is in tan and my HWM is in black - what a miss match…

Still I wouldn’t buy such a belt in black as I’d love to see how the tan color develops over years of usage

The list of problems and paradoxes continues… such is the nature of (my) human stupidity.

Now some of you may be thinking about getting a Samurai belt!

That belt looks killer. good luck with it. I thought about getting one, but probably wont be able to wear it as much as i would like, instead i've Been looking for a belt with a fireman buckle and horsehide, found and purchased last night.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think matching all the leather colors throughout an outfit looks a bit silly and uninspired. I used to do so myself for years though lol.

I think this is where I've benefited from having a very English menswear background lol. Belts are inherently a casual thing to me so when people talk about belt colour matching and such, in my head it's like "if you have to wear a belt, it didn't matter" though of course I do understand that in the US and Europe (and today even Britain) belted suit trousers are a norm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou