Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One more, for the road: the Vanson x Union Garage V7

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Knew that I had to have it when I saw it. But I waited about two weeks before I pulled the trigger, just to make sure I really did want it. I ride a Moto Guzzi V7, how could I not? It's like they made it just for me. I just wish that the 20% off coupon code that you can find on the internet worked :/

It's, to me, the perfect Vanson riding jacket. Classic, reserved style with D3O armor, and comp weight leather.

It arrived last week, and I've been waiting to get a few pictures to put up.

The D3O armor has a bit of an odor to it, a kind of plastic scent that isn't appealing, and it's still lingering a bit even now, but should fade with time. When I first put it on, I had to figure out how the shoulder armor was meant to lay, but once I did, it felt very good. You can tell there's some padding under the leather, but it's subtle. I don't think it detracts a bit from the classic look. Apparently only the back armor is removable, which is puzzling. I cannot find a way to get into the shoulders or elbow-forearms. Not recommended for non-riders, then. [CORRECTION: It all comes out through the back. Unzip the lining in the fold of the center of the lining, and feel around until you get into the sleeve. The armor is velcroed in place.] Of course, at this price point if you're not a rider, you shouldn't be thinking about it in the first place. But if you do ride, and were thinking about it, I can easily recommend it.

The inside pockets are diagonal slits. I haven't seen that before, but I rather like it, and they feel well situated, easy to get into, more so than either a vertical or horizontal slit would have been. There are two, one on each side, and both snap closed.

Union Garage recommended I go with the 42, based on the measurements I provided them, and that turns out to have been excellent advice. I think the fit is spot on.

The design is simple and understated, and I really appreciate it for that. There's no external branding evident, apart from the Vanson name on the zipper pulls. The zipper appears to be YKK, beefy, and brass. A good practical choice, if not quite as distinctive as a Talon would have been. You don't have to go out of your way to impress when you know you're this good. Vanson hit this one out of the park.

Fit pics to come once I get a chance to shoot some.

522a12db531ee017c09bc69462d30db5.jpg
3cba6666eabd67117873961ab0d3984f.jpg
79018a1b71c9b269609f86f358d0942f.jpg
317bb57600dfca0393f644e41cb2f285.jpg
b67f10695b459b3955eccd0dbc403416.jpg
1bf713b1125be81ca94a050feb8b6dee.jpg
917b943312e418d686b13677328b59ba.jpg
1594900ac462c65240c534c59fffb37f.jpg
c7c637d4de99f2af2e295ff7aca3ed7d.jpg

Last edited:
How... What... Okay!

I told you people, didn't I! Told you this is going to be the best jacket ever made! And Guppy, for the love of God, take that thing outside and take like 11,000 photos of it!

Edward

Bartender
Nicely done. After years of not being a fan, I'm slowly coming round to cafe racers. This is one of the classiest I've seen. The inside pockets put me in mind of those in the later B15x series, or an MA1.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Oh man seriously!! Two Thedi's and this?!?!?
image.jpg
The timing is a bit much, isn't it? I ordered the Thedi jackets in late June, and received them this week. The V7 was ordered in the beginning of this month, and I just now got around to writing up these initial impressions.

I'm actually starting to get jealous of myself. I'm going to have to look into cloning so that these jackets can get the wear they deserve.

The timing is a bit much, isn't it? I ordered the Thedi jackets in late June, and received them this week. The V7 was ordered in the beginning of this month, and I just now got around to writing up these initial impressions.

I'm actually starting to get jealous of myself. I'm going to have to look into cloning so that these jackets can get the wear they deserve.
Well there's always a loving spot for anyone of them just to the west of you;)
All kidding aside...I need to figure out how to get one of those Vansons around my shoulders...I'm partial to the oxblood but the black is cool too. I don't see how this jacket could be topped...

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Hows the hide? Is it full comp weight? Looks like it is...
Yes, it's comp weight according to the description on the website. But I don't think it's quite as thick as the comp weight leather of my older Model F jacket. Still seems thick enough though, especially with the armor.

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm actually starting to get jealous of myself.

LOL

It’s a bit of a rude awakening when you are looking at a picture of a jacket and think “DAMN that’s nice, I need one of those”...then realise you already have one....

ai00344

One of the Regulars
That’s a beauty Guppy, love the snap back collar and the labels are really unique / cool. Let’s see an action shot on the bike!

lina

Practically Family
Which V7 do you rise..? I am thinking of finally getting a Guzzi and am looking at both the new Anniversario and the Racer.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Which V7 do you rise..? I am thinking of finally getting a Guzzi and am looking at both the new Anniversario and the Racer.
I have a 2013 V7 Special. I really, really like it. The only thing I would change about it is that I would add a sixth gear for a little extra speed at lower rpm on the highway. Which, from what I understand, they did add a 6th gear in the V7 II. But I don't think it's necessarily a higher ratio.

lina

Practically Family
They are now on the V7iii, which does indeed have 6 gears, and a little more horsepower. Of course at this point I am riding a 500cc Royal Enfield, which I love in many ways, but just about anything would be a step up in power and performance..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo