Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help to identify what steerhide is this Aero HWM

NamoAmituofo

New in Town
Once upon a time I had a size 40 HWM in heavy HH and it was like armor. If was my only leather jacket, and I sold it, and ever since I’ve been missing it - changes my wardrobe to suits, cashmere coats etc.

So after many years I’ve decided to make a come back. Bought this size 40 HWM from a Japanese eBay seller - arrived today.

I had hoped this is the heavy heavy SH - but I couldn’t believe how light it was when I got the parcel.

Fit wise I feel it’s spot on - albeit one could argue the length of 24” could be a tad longer - it sits just below my belt - I’m almost 6’

If I could change one thing I’d love to have my zipped sleeves back on the HWM I had before - that said the storm cuff let me throw a jab/punch easily!

What I’d appreciate some help for is - what hide is this? And what is that lining material? The label says SH but it’s so light weight almost like 2.5oz goat yet quite soft and supple nothing like the heavy SH I was expecting.

Was going to use it as a winter jacket given the roomy cut but now think it would be perfect for a lightweight spring/autumn jacket.

I have my HWM back - happy
IMG_9188.jpeg
IMG_9189.jpeg
IMG_9190.jpeg
IMG_9192.jpeg
IMG_9193.jpeg
IMG_9194.jpeg
IMG_9195.jpeg
IMG_9197.jpeg
IMG_9199.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9196.jpeg
    IMG_9196.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Looks really good, both leather and fit. It's not CXL for sure. Could it be their infamous Rolls Royce coachworks steerhide I don't know. The leather doesn't look thin judging by the seam thickness, solid 3oz is my best guess, it may be a light weight tannage intended for easier drape. CXL SH is really only about 3.5oz thick, it just feels heavy because of all the oil and waxes they put into it. Your leather looks very good, there are pronounced and natural grain all around. Lining looks to be wool, the Donegal tweed kind. Excellent condition given its age, looks like new. Congrats!

I love that leather so much more than any they use now. Had two jackets made from it.

It's not Connelly, Connoly, whatever but it's super nice.

Perfect if you want your jacket to always look new and classy.

NamoAmituofo

New in Town
I love that leather so much more than any they use now. Had two jackets made from it.

It's not Connelly, Connoly, whatever but it's super nice.

Perfect if you want your jacket to always look new and classy.
What leather was that - the so called 'Rolls Royce coachworks steerhide'?

This was supposed to be my 'winter jacket', but today I went out in it in 18d temp, with a shirt under, and it felt perfect.

BTW I got your 'heavy heavy white CR' and just waiting for it to arrive - I'm just hoping it's weight/warmth/fit can be a winter jacket now!

What leather was that - the so called 'Rolls Royce coachworks steerhide'?

This was supposed to be my 'winter jacket', but today I went out in it in 18d temp, with a shirt under, and it felt perfect.

BTW I got your 'heavy heavy white CR' and just waiting for it to arrive - I'm just hoping it's weight/warmth/fit can be a winter jacket now!

Connolly leather is the "Rolls-Royce" leather @Canuck Panda mentioned, as it was used as an upholstery in their cars, before Aero started using it for jackets. I'm not sure what he means by infamous, though as it is generally held in high regard by Aero fans & jackets made from it usually dictate higher pricing than the CXL ones.

As for me personally... Maybe I'm missing something but I didn't see nothing special about it. I'd take the leather your jacket is made from over Connolly any day.

The jacket you got definitely doesn't look light. And don't forget, it's mostly greases and oils that add weight on CXL jackets whist they're still probably as thick as this steer so weight isn't an indication of leather thickness or quality.

This woolen lining used to be a default option for Highwayman jackets at the time (I'm thinking early 90's? But I could be wrong). I also like it a lot.

The jackets from this era were really cool. Just something very honest and utilitarian about them plus you'll see how new your HWM will look after years and years you'll be using it.

As for my white CR, you've no worries there. You good for deep winter and we're talking Alaskan deep winter here. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner