Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Board Racer Leather help

Cortexas

New in Town
Been lurking around the forum for a few months now but figured it was time I asked some questions. I’m going through Thurston to have a board racer made. I definitely prefer a heavier leather just because I like the feeling of a heavy jacket. I don’t ride and don’t necessarily need something heavy, just a preference. I’m torn between the Vicenza and something heavier like a tumbled CXL SH or HH. Does anyone have a board racer in a heavier leather like this? Does it eventually wear in and feel pretty comfortable or is this pattern just much better suited to a midweight/lightweight leather?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Been lurking around the forum for a few months now but figured it was time I asked some questions. I’m going through Thurston to have a board racer made. I definitely prefer a heavier leather just because I like the feeling of a heavy jacket. I don’t ride and don’t necessarily need something heavy, just a preference. I’m torn between the Vicenza and something heavier like a tumbled CXL SH or HH. Does anyone have a board racer in a heavier leather like this? Does it eventually wear in and feel pretty comfortable or is this pattern just much better suited to a midweight/lightweight leather?
Vicenza is not so heavy, but I think it is well suited for a board racer. Otherwise, CXSH is certainly a good choice. CXFQHH would be too stiff for a board racer (for me).
Tumbled maybe, I can't judge. I have mine from Badalassi and would order them again.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I have a BR in Vicenza and I used to have one in CXL FQHH. Of the two, I preferred the FQHH by a million miles.

I actually believe it works quite well, but you need to make sure that you get the sizing exactly right. Too small will simply be very restrictive, too large, and you will swim in it like a turtle in a shell.

I wouldn’t go tumbled, though, as I like the ‚self-break in‘ option better.

Cortexas

New in Town
I have a BR in Vicenza and I used to have one in CXL FQHH. Of the two, I preferred the FQHH by a million miles.

I actually believe it works quite well, but you need to make sure that you get the sizing exactly right. Too small will simply be very restrictive, too large, and you will swim in it like a turtle in a shell.

I wouldn’t go tumbled, though, as I like the ‚self-break in‘ option better.
Interesting… did you find the CXL looked a bit “bulkier” like in a good way? What did you prefer about the CXL over the Vicenza?

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Interesting… did you find the CXL looked a bit “bulkier” like in a good way? What did you prefer about the CXL over the Vicenza?

Yes, definitely bulkier. It drapes totally different.

Maybe it’s just my batch of Vicenza, but I find the hide both too thin and uninteresting in terms of grain and temper. The topcoat is very tough, almost like a vinyl finishing.
That said, there are quite a few senior members here who love their Vicenza, so maybe I just got unlucky.

CXL, especially in its heavy variant has that deep luster to it when new. It dulls dow, but then develops a patina like no other hide. The downside is of course that’s it’s not breathable at all and generally not very comfortable to wear.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
My board racer is Badalassi and I'm very happy with it. While CXHH and CXSH are certainly heavy leathers, I'm not sure any of Aero's leathers would be considered light in weight. Maybe in comparison to the CXL hides, but not light.

I have an Aero Long Half Belt in CXHH. It was bought from Mark Moye (Aero USA) and is very thick and very heavy. It may be part of the Storse period. I like it quite a bit, but it doesn't drape like my other leather jackets made of lighter hides - and I like my board racer/cafe racer jackets to drape well.

While I know leather isn't the best insulator (really depends on the lining), I wouldn't think a heavy hide would be the best choice for Austin, Texas. People do rave about the CH Steerhide and say it breaks in much quicker that HH.

Seems to be the red-headed stepchild around here, but I think goat would make an awesome BR. Does Carrie at Thurston Bros. have any advice on hide selection for the Board Racer?

Cortexas

New in Town
My board racer is Badalassi and I'm very happy with it. While CXHH and CXSH are certainly heavy leathers, I'm not sure any of Aero's leathers would be considered light in weight. Maybe in comparison to the CXL hides, but not light.

I have an Aero Long Half Belt in CXHH. It was bought from Mark Moye (Aero USA) and is very thick and very heavy. It may be part of the Storse period. I like it quite a bit, but it doesn't drape like my other leather jackets made of lighter hides - and I like my board racer/cafe racer jackets to drape well.

While I know leather isn't the best insulator (really depends on the lining), I wouldn't think a heavy hide would be the best choice for Austin, Texas. People do rave about the CH Steerhide and say it breaks in much quicker that HH.

Seems to be the red-headed stepchild around here, but I think goat would make an awesome BR. Does Carrie at Thurston Bros. have any advice on hide selection for the Board Racer?
You may be right about a very heavy hide not being a good choice for Austin. I currently have a Japanese jacket made of 1.5mm HH that isn’t too bad for the weather here. It can get cold here it’s just the wearing season is short. Carrie suggested Badalassi or Vicenza. I’ve seen some pics of guys wearing the BR in heavier hides and I like the “bulkier” look. I think the BR looks cool when it wears more like a jacket as opposed to a shirt. I’m mostly curious how they feel in this pattern. A jacket may look cool but be unbearably uncomfortable and constrictive, which I’d like I avoid.

Al 916

One Too Many
CR rather than BR

This is Aero's magic jacket for me.
Movement is good for me. They really are a second skin jacket..

Both heavy and light hides work in different ways.

This one the heavy CXFQHH: Feels like the armour it should be for real wear
20230911_144700.jpg

This one happens to be HH too, however it is much lighter and feels like you are wearing a comfortable smoking jacket.
20230409_105355.jpg

Cortexas

New in Town
CR rather than BR

This is Aero's magic jacket for me.
Movement is good for me. They really are a second skin jacket..

Both heavy and light hides work in different ways.

This one the heavy CXFQHH: Feels like the armour it should be for real wear
View attachment 603537

This one happens to be HH too, however it is much lighter and feels like you are wearing a comfortable smoking jacket.
View attachment 603536
Are these both CRs? I seem to recall reading the CR is better suited for those with wider shoulders. I assumed board racer would be a better fit for my physique. I’m 6’0 180lbs athletic build. My shoulders aren’t overly wide. Is the CR really better suited for wider shoulders or does it just wear more like a jacket and the BR more like a shirt regardless of shoulder to waist ratio?

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Are these both CRs? I seem to recall reading the CR is better suited for those with wider shoulders. I assumed board racer would be a better fit for my physique. I’m 6’0 180lbs athletic build. My shoulders aren’t overly wide. Is the CR really better suited for wider shoulders or does it just wear more like a jacket and the BR more like a shirt regardless of shoulder to waist ratio?

The CR has better range of motion, due to shoulder gussets (in the default pattern; some people delete them but end up having a lot of leather to compensate).
The ‘issue’ with the CR is the taper, so the hem gets pretty narrow.

The BR is more tubular shaped. Mine had 17,8” across the shoulders for a size 44 which eventually was too narrow.

I have seen great fitting BR and CR, especially on an athletic build, but I guess the BR pattern will always feel a bit more restrictive.

MrProper

The CR has better range of motion, due to shoulder gussets (in the default pattern; some people delete them but end up having a lot of leather to compensate).
The ‘issue’ with the CR is the taper, so the hem gets pretty narrow.

The BR is more tubular shaped. Mine had 17,8” across the shoulders for a size 44 which eventually was too narrow.

I have seen great fitting BR and CR, especially on an athletic build, but I guess the BR pattern will always feel a bit more restrictive.
I also think that the BR pattern is not easy. The difference to the CR is that the CR is a regular fit (with taper, 50s) and the BR is more of a slim fit.

Al 916

One Too Many
My S2S is about 20 with a P2P of 23.5, waist is approx 20.

My understanding is as yours on the BR being a slim fit.

Hope that helps.

MrProper

Do you like your BR or CR better?
BR didn't work for me because the cut was too straight. My CR back then was too big, but that made it possible to wear protectors underneath. I ordered my Sheene (CR with collar) too tight and therefore know that it's not worth turning a regular fit into a slim fit.
I think my custom J-100 is perfect, but it's a special model based on the PHWM pattern.
So if I take everything into account, the CR fits me better than the BR. But my customised model is even better.

STPmotor

Familiar Face
BR didn't work for me because the cut was too straight. My CR back then was too big, but that made it possible to wear protectors underneath. I ordered my Sheene (CR with collar) too tight and therefore know that it's not worth turning a regular fit into a slim fit.
I think my custom J-100 is perfect, but it's a special model based on the PHWM pattern.
So if I take everything into account, the CR fits me better than the BR. But my customised model is even better.
So is your jacket essentially a banded collar Premier Highwayman with a custom yoke? Any push back from Aero on these modifications? thanks

MrProper

So is your jacket essentially a banded collar Premier Highwayman with a custom yoke? Any push back from Aero on these modifications? thanks
I think that was only possible because I already have so many jackets from Aero (must be around 11 jackets) and they know my measurements exactly and knew that the PHWM works well for me, but the BR doesn't.
So this is probably the absolute exception for a kind of regular customer.

STPmotor

Familiar Face
I think that was only possible because I already have so many jackets from Aero (must be around 11 jackets) and they know my measurements exactly and knew that the PHWM works well for me, but the BR doesn't.
So this is probably the absolute exception for a kind of regular customer.
Yep thanks that makes sense...noticed the side panels but didn't look very CR. And yea can be a tricky situation with custom patterns like that...sometimes its just up to the bandwidth they have at any given time or what projects they find intriguing as well. Don't have a lot of empathy for the posts complaining about why they let so and so have this leather or change a chest pocket etc.

That said I'm in a similar boat enjoying the PHWM fit...maybe after another 8 Aeros I'll see what can be done :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner