Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for recommendations for bomber/moto racer mash

Himitsu

New in Town
Hello all, first time poster here after some referrals from reddit.

I have been researching leather jackets for a few days as I am looking to buy my first one.
I've had a PU leather jacket in the past but it flaked. Though I absolutely loved the look of it as it looked kind of like a mix of bomber and moto racer. (attached HPIM0215 picture of old jacket, sorry for the quality, it's an old photo)

Been trying to find something good quality with that look but haven't had much chance.

I think the closest to what I want from research would be MA1, M2, or L2 bomber style. Bonus for moto/racer (snap-on) style collar, zippers on arms/wrists and/or front, and maybe more than 2 pockets. Lamb would probably be the look I'd like partially because it's lightweight compared to others. As far as budget goes, preferably in the 700 CAD range maybe, 4 digits is probably not something I'm ready to do just yet.

Any suggestions or recommendations? I did check in local stores including thrift stores but not much choices, only what I attached in pictures (but been told it doesn't seem to fit me very well)

Attachments

• HPIM0215.JPG
    HPIM0215.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • 20240409_143726.jpg
    20240409_143726.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 62
  • 20240409_143951.jpg
    20240409_143951.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 59
  • 20240409_144126.jpg
    20240409_144126.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the closest to what I want from research would be MA1, M2, or L2 bomber style. Bonus for moto/racer (snap-on) style collar, zippers on arms/wrists and/or front, and maybe more than 2 pockets. Lamb would probably be the look I'd like partially because it's lightweight compared to others. As far as budget goes, preferably in the 700 CAD range maybe, 4 digits is probably not something I'm ready to do just yet.

Personally I like them best in heavyweight flight nylon but there are leather options because lots of police departments do a modified version of the B-15/MA-1 as a patrol jacket.

This Taylor's should cover you I think.

Himitsu

New in Town
Hmm that looks good. I'm not sure if they ship to Canada though?

I would prefer a zippers for pockets on front side belly though.

What about moto racer (cafe racer I think they're refered as?), any suggestions on that?

Is there maybe a list of good sites to look at? I don't mind international as long as it ships to Canada.
It seems to be hard to find something that isn't a scam or low quality, at least from my searches anyways.

Aloysius

Hmm that looks good. I'm not sure if they ship to Canada though?

I would prefer a zippers for pockets on front side belly though.
They do. Zippered front pockets aren't a thing on flight jackets generally, and definitely not this type.

What about moto racer (cafe racer I think they're refered as?), any suggestions on that?

Vanson Comet, without question. As a special event, it's currently available to order in a wide range of leathers without needing to place a special order.

Himitsu

New in Town
I'm starting to think that maybe a moto cafe racer style might fit me better then. I tend to wear hoodies quite often if that matters, even with a jacket or coat. Sadly that Vanson Comet doesn't seem to have lower side (abdomen) pockets, rest of it looks good otherwise though.

Sorry to be so picky lol. If there was a jacket just like the one I had, Id take that in a heartbeat.

MrProper

I'm starting to think that maybe a moto cafe racer style might fit me better then. I tend to wear hoodies quite often if that matters, even with a jacket or coat. Sadly that Vanson Comet doesn't seem to have lower side (abdomen) pockets, rest of it looks good otherwise though.

Sorry to be so picky lol. If there was a jacket just like the one I had, Id take that in a heartbeat.
Cafe Racer also came to my mind when I saw your pictures. But then I noticed the knitted cuffs and thought that they might be important for you.
But yes, cafe racer is certainly what you want for everyday wear. I've only had cafe racers for years.
And pretty much every manufacturer has cafe racers in their range.

Himitsu

New in Town
I found these sites:
https://thursdayboots.com/products/mens-roadster-leather-jacket-black-coffee

Are these any good at all? Kind of fits within my price range but no exactly the style I'm looking for I suppose, the jackets for the first seem pretty basic.

EDIT: Also just found Caine Leather UK, which for once seem to have all the features I want for the style and pricing is within range. Like these:

Last edited:

Aloysius

Then the Vanson Model A or Model B should do you perfectly. As someone who likes to layer, you might appreciate that the Model B has a zip-out fleece liner that you can wear in colder months.

I would not recommend the later stores you linked. Magnoli is for movie costume replicas, which they do well but I don't think they're designed to be everyday wear clothing, and Caine seems to be the usual drop shipped mall leather operation. Thursday is also to be avoided. There are better uses of your money; Vanson is very hard to beat in that regard.

Khilij

One of the Regulars
Vanson is great. I have a model B with the zip liner and it's quite warm. It's a very comfortable jacket as well. I can wear it all day with no issues. I second Aloysius' recommendation.

Himitsu

New in Town
Looks like there's a bunch of models and sub-models for each? Is there a major difference between all these?

And also Vanson equals to about CA$820 for the model AR, that's without taxes and shipping ouch. That is definitely more expensive. But then a good leather jacket was always a "pay now cry later" type of situation from the start lol.

About how thick is that fleece liner?
And those warning symbols on the buying page, do I even have to worry about these?

Also, just wanted to thank everyone so far for the help! Very much appreciated!

Khilij

One of the Regulars
Looks like there's a bunch of models and sub-models for each? Is there a major difference between all these?

And also Vanson equals to about CA$820 for the model AR, that's without taxes and shipping ouch. That is definitely more expensive. But then a good leather jacket was always a "pay now cry later" type of situation from the start lol.

About how thick is that fleece liner?
And those warning symbols on the buying page, do I even have to worry about these?

Also, just wanted to thank everyone so far for the help! Very much appreciated!
The fleece liner is about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch thick on my Model B. You don't need to worry about any of the warning symbols, at least, I never have.

The different models are the various designs they have on offer. The particulars of each can be found on its product page.

The different sub-models are generally things like heavyweight (Competition weight) or midweight (Firenze) leather, zip-out linings, or different colored leathers. Vanson takes custom orders as well where they will make it according to your measurements, you can pick from their available leathers, change up the lining, and select the hardware you like. This is a 15% surcharge so it may not be viable for you right now. However, Vanson regularly runs 10-15% off sales which they announce on their email list.

Aloysius

I would go with the competition weight leather version for black and Roma for color. Comp weight is hard to beat though.

If you feel the price is just over the line, feel free to give Vanson a call and ask when their next sale will be. When I visited the factory, they had recently had a sale and they offered me that sale price without my even asking. As Khilij says, they do these sales every few weeks.

The thing with Vanson is that what you get would cost you twice as much from anyone else.

Himitsu

New in Town
The fleece liner is about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch thick on my Model B. You don't need to worry about any of the warning symbols, at least, I never have.

The different models are the various designs they have on offer. The particulars of each can be found on its product page.

The different sub-models are generally things like heavyweight (Competition weight) or midweight (Firenze) leather, zip-out linings, or different colored leathers. Vanson takes custom orders as well where they will make it according to your measurements, you can pick from their available leathers, change up the lining, and select the hardware you like. This is a 15% surcharge so it may not be viable for you right now. However, Vanson regularly runs 10-15% off sales which they announce on their email list.
I would go with the competition weight leather version for black and Roma for color. Comp weight is hard to beat though.

If you feel the price is just over the line, feel free to give Vanson a call and ask when their next sale will be. When I visited the factory, they had recently had a sale and they offered me that sale price without my even asking. As Khilij says, they do these sales every few weeks.

The thing with Vanson is that what you get would cost you twice as much from anyone else.

Ah ok, good to know for the sales. At least I'd know it's quality. Guess I can sub to the email listing to keep track.

I was also looking at this one which I like the look of: https://www.vansonleathers.com/leat..._color-firenze_black_medium_weight/38-size-xl
I might check for a custom order see how much they want for that too. Only thing I don't like about the linked one is the arm/wrist zippers at the front instead of back.

Also, what does heavyweight (Competition weight) or midweight (Firenze) mean? Like, is it harder to move around in one vs the other?

Aloysius

I was also looking at this one which I like the look of: https://www.vansonleathers.com/leat..._color-firenze_black_medium_weight/38-size-xl
I might check for a custom order see how much they want for that too. Only thing I don't like about the linked one is the arm/wrist zippers at the front instead of back.

Also, what does heavyweight (Competition weight) or midweight (Firenze) mean? Like, is it harder to move around in one vs the other?

I wouldn't be so sure of that–top zippers are actually really great! They don't get in your way at all while you're doing things, unlike bottom zippers. That jacket looks great and imo even visually the top zips are part of the visual effect with the various pockets.

Both are good leathers and easy to move around in.

Himitsu

New in Town
Hmm I guess I didn't think about that, cool then!

But for weight type, I'm guessing it's the thickness of the leather then?

Khilij

One of the Regulars
Hmm I guess I didn't think about that, cool then!

But for weight type, I'm guessing it's the thickness of the leather then?
Yeah, just the thickness of the leather. Comp Weight is 1.4mm thick while Firenze is 1.2mm thick.

Himitsu

New in Town
Ok good to know, thanks.

Also, does it matter if I don't ride bikes at all for a Vanson jacket?
I'm only looking for casual wear so I don't necessarily need big protection I guess. More going for durability and look, at least how good it looks to me.

MrProper

Ok good to know, thanks.

I'm only looking for casual wear so I don't necessarily need big protection I guess. More going for durability and look, at least how good it looks to me.
Take a look at the pictures in the "What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?" thread. There are lots of examples of leather jackets without a motorbike ;-)
But of course, it's always possible that someone will ask if you're there on a motorbike because you're wearing a leather jacket. But that can also happen with a fashion jacket.
I think a cafe racer always looks cooler than a fashion jacket. If only because the leather is usually better.

Himitsu

New in Town
Looking at the thread you mentioned, it generally seems hard to not look good in a leather jacket :)

I do have a bit of a belly (trying to work on that), is that something I should take into account when measuring?

Aloysius

Only if you're also wearing/carrying around an unused helmet.

I do have a bit of a belly (trying to work on that), is that something I should take into account when measuring?

Yes. This is an extremely slim jacket (the chest measurement is just the size number + 2") so most people would have to upsize.

What are your measurements if you don't mind my asking?

Ideally you get a jacket with some kind of size adjustment mechanism. In this case, there's the zippered gusset at the waist, whereas other jackets have pulls or belts. I think the aim with that is that the jacket at its most open position should fit you at the heaviest part of your normal range, but then allow you leeway to cinch it down as you lose weight or are in lighter months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner