Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Minimalistic MA1 or similar mid-range options

cbez

One Too Many
yep but some are ahistorical in a cheap, corner cutting way and some are ahistorical in a creative way.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I own plenty of one-piece back jackets but I think we kind of overhype them in our space. Almost none of the hideous leather jackets by SLP and others that people salivate over has a one-piece back.

A two (or more) piece also contributes to better shape.

cbez

One Too Many
I can see how horizontal pieces, yokes, etc or even middle/side pieces can help with the back shape, but not a single vertical seam.

if I wanted a drapey fashion one schott lamb would be one I would consider.

Aloysius

I disagree but I agree that jacket would be a great choice and it's in OP's budget.

Aloysius

To go full circle, OP, have you considered getting the Buzz Rickson William Gibson MA-1? Or L-2B if you want essentially the same thing but without the heavy winter lining?

IMO it's plain cooler than most leather jackets, which I almost hate to admit because I've spent a lot more on leather jackets than I did on the Gibson jacket but it's arguably much more impressive, from the beautiful shell fabric (which is something I had never expected before from a synthetic material) to the trim to the Crown zippers.

BigBoss

New in Town
Thanks guys, great discussion. Here's the funny part, I own a ton of jackets...5 of which are in the MA1 variety (different colors, materials, and styles, but nonetheless) since they just work really well with my wardrobe...One of which is a black nylon traditional flight jacket, although admittedly it is not the highest quality, and I will replace that some day with a Buzz or similar. I just don't have a black leather jacket now, and figured I'd kill two birds with one stone. Those Taylor's look like really nice options as well.

BigBoss

New in Town
Just reviving this thread to update what I ended up with. Found very close to what I was looking for in this at Wested. Figured it was worth the risk/reward as I've heard generally positive things about their stuff. Understanding it's not in the same playing field as Aero or other favorites here, it's a very nice jacket for the price, that fit what I was looking for. In fact I'm also thinking about trying out Wested's custom services on the Bond London jacket from Spectre (John Varvatos Racer Suede replica).

With that said, I'm also browsing second-hand schott/aero/etc for a more traditional brown leather jacket on the next purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner