Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for Moto Style brown leather jacket recommendations

silent

New in Town
Hi friends! I'm new to leather jackets (I only own one black "mall-jacket") and am looking to pick up a brown/dark-brown leather jacket. I really like the "Moto" style that is similar to a cafe racer but with a more traditional collar (Aero calls it the highwayman collar). My budget is in the sub $1,500 range.

Everyone here seems very knowledgeable about leather jackets, jacket brands, etc. so I wanted to see what you guys think of some of the options I've found so far and if you have any new recommendations for me to look at. These are in no particular order.

Idaho from Field Leathers
https://fieldleathers.com/product/the-idaho/

Schott Waxy Pullup
https://www.schottnyc.com/products/waxy-pullup-cowhide--jacket.htm?color=98&catID=8#tab-overview

Aero Sheene
https://www.thurston-bros.com/collections/civilian-jackets/products/aero-sheene

What do you guys think? Is there a best-of-the-bunch? A really great jacket that I didn't consider? A vintage model I should go looking for?

Peacoat

Bartender
Hi friends! I'm new to leather jackets (I only own one black "mall-jacket") and am looking to pick up a brown/dark-brown leather jacket. I really like the "Moto" style that is similar to a cafe racer but with a more traditional collar (Aero calls it the highwayman collar). My budget is in the sub $1,500 range.

Everyone here seems very knowledgeable about leather jackets, jacket brands, etc. so I wanted to see what you guys think of some of the options I've found so far and if you have any new recommendations for me to look at. These are in no particular order.

Idaho from Field Leathers
https://fieldleathers.com/product/the-idaho/

Schott Waxy Pullup
https://www.schottnyc.com/products/waxy-pullup-cowhide--jacket.htm?color=98&catID=8#tab-overview

Aero Sheene
https://www.thurston-bros.com/collections/civilian-jackets/products/aero-sheene

What do you guys think? Is there a best-of-the-bunch? A really great jacket that I didn't consider? A vintage model I should go looking for?
I have an Aero Sheene, along with about 15 other leather jackets. It is my favorite and the one I wear the most. Aero's brown is an excellent choice.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Are you in USA? If so, try on the Schott in person first. If it doesn't work, then go through the TB fit jacket process for the Sheene. The main point is to try it on before you buy. Especially if this is your first nice jacket. Only buy it from someone who will let you try it on and return it if it doesn't work out.

silent

New in Town
Are you in USA? If so, try on the Schott in person first. If it doesn't work, then go through the TB fit jacket process for the Sheene. The main point is to try it on before you buy. Especially if this is your first nice jacket. Only buy it from someone who will let you try it on and return it if it doesn't work out.
Yes, in the USA. However, the closest Schott retailer is 4 or so hours away....and there's nothing on my calendar to head in that direction for work in the next few months, assuming they even have this style of jacket available to try on. I could order it from Schott directly and potentially return it I guess...

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Yes, in the USA. However, the closest Schott retailer is 4 or so hours away....and there's nothing on my calendar to head in that direction for work in the next few months, assuming they even have this style of jacket available to try on. I could order it from Schott directly and potentially return it I guess...
Yes, I’d suggest that route first. If the jacket works, great, if not, you can return and use the funds for the next try. You’ll lose the return shipping but that 40 ish dollars will buy knowledge of what to look for next. Take lots of measurements and photos and notes when you get the jacket. One step at a time, no short cuts.

IMG_1002.jpeg

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I second Canuck's suggestion to buy a stock jacket first.

Schott had this really beautiful collared cafe racer with a pull-up brown leather that reminded me of Vanson Octagon; they discontinued it last year so it had gone into heavy discount. I'm trying to remember the name so I can link it. Many of those discontinued items end up on third party sites where you can order with free returns.

silent

New in Town
The Schott 673, managed to find the name via an old sales post here!

And it's not discontinued yet but it is discounted!

I nearly bought this myself when I saw it at their factory and I don't even usually like cafe racers.
Thanks for spending the time to find the model! I really like the style but don't love the marbled leather. Maybe I'd feel differently about it in person, I've added it to my tabs.
While I'm here, is there a reason for the ~$300 price difference between the two Schott jackets linked in this thread? Is it simply the difference in the cost of the leather?

Aloysius

Thanks for spending the time to find the model! I really like the style but don't love the marbled leather. Maybe I'd feel differently about it in person, I've added it to my tabs.
While I'm here, is there a reason for the ~$300 price difference between the two Schott jackets linked in this thread? Is it simply the difference in the cost of the leather?

The jacket I linked is being phased out and they usually do that by dropping the price and limiting new production to what's specifically backordered. Meanwhile, other jackets keep their old prices or even go up according to the increased costs these days. The jackets in this stage are amazing values, given that they're brand new but going for practically a used rate.

I'd never tell someone what to like, but I did want to bring to your attention that the pull-up of the jacket I linked is more muted in person, and that as you wear a brown leather jacket, you'll very quickly come to appreciate that depth of color! (Whereas for blacks, I tend to like them being a fairly 'simple' black.)

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Of the three, I'd go with Aero. The Sheene is a great jacket, the build quality and materials exceed Schott, and the price beats Field.

Consider the August collar as an alternative to the Highwayman collar.

For leather, you have a lot of great options, from CXL to Badalassi. Kelpie, Jerky, and even Vicenza if you want to consider all the shades of brown.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
I'd definitely go the Schott route and order both of those, return what you don't like. Then order a stock Vanson Oxford 9D, see how you like the sizing/pattern. If you like it - order it in brown leather from TB. If you don't - go for an Aero Sheene.

Aloysius

Also I want to add that shipping the jacket back to Schott would not cost $40.

I mailed a jacket to them for modification and it cost $15; yes, I am only a few hours away, but I also mailed one that I picked up for a friend across the US, and that also cost $15 to ship.

Schambach

Practically Family
Definitely consier the Vanson 9d/oxford, as well as the Enfield. Much easier to wear than a sheene, in my experience at least. Aero does have great leather options though!

Aloysius

I will say the pattern on the Schott I linked is very good, from when I tried it on.

hungapotamus

New in Town
The Schott 673, managed to find the name via an old sales post here!

And it's not discontinued yet but it is discounted!

I nearly bought this myself when I saw it at their factory and I don't even usually like cafe racers.
I'm a newbie but I have experience with that same jacket - ordered it from schott but found it to be too long at 26". Otherwise it's breathtaking and so beautiful, the character of the leather is amazing in person. Jacket was super stiff and heavy, as expected of any high quality leather garment.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Thanks everyone for your recommendations - I think I'm going to try the Schott first, and if the fit isn't good I'll order a custom Aero Sheene. <3
Welcome to Fedora Lounge Silent, hope you find this community helpful and friendly.

I am a little late to this party, I think you are making a good choice here. The Schott product is excellent, and I think you will have no regrets.

My other comments are that the Field leathers, while highly desirable, has a considerable lead time now, and I do not think Greg is allowing modifications any more. I have had great luck with Carrie/Thurston Brothers Aero's although they do get pricy pretty quickly. The Sheene is a very nice jacket overall, I had one that met an untimely end.

Squirrel_hero

Familiar Face
The good thing about schott is they’re good about returns. Luckily I’m not far from a store so I tried on 6 or more styles in the Los Angeles store…
I feel like I have a pretty normal body type, but i didn’t like any of the ones off the rack which is when I decided to go through thurston bros. I opted for thedi for my first “real” jacket, I eventually got an aero and the quality is definitely better than schott in my opinion. But not better than thedi by any means.
if I had to choose aero or schott I’d go with aero because for a little more your getting a custom fit jacket and your choosing everything from the leather to the thread color. To me that’s worth the extra money. But if you’re just getting a black jacket then maybe it doesnt matter as much and going cheaper is fine if it fits. Field leather is on my wish list though. Good luck on your journey it’s addicting. You’ll end up keeping the schott and still ordering something else. I almost guarantee it lol is it just me or is it not addicting?

Peacoat

Bartender
The good thing about schott is they’re good about returns. Luckily I’m not far from a store so I tried on 6 or more styles in the Los Angeles store…
I feel like I have a pretty normal body type, but i didn’t like any of the ones off the rack which is when I decided to go through thurston bros. I opted for thedi for my first “real” jacket, I eventually got an aero and the quality is definitely better than schott in my opinion. But not better than thedi by any means.
if I had to choose aero or schott I’d go with aero because for a little more your getting a custom fit jacket and your choosing everything from the leather to the thread color. To me that’s worth the extra money. But if you’re just getting a black jacket then maybe it doesnt matter as much and going cheaper is fine if it fits. Field leather is on my wish list though. Good luck on your journey it’s addicting. You’ll end up keeping the schott and still ordering something else. I almost guarantee it lol is it just me or is it not addicting?

I don't think you really have to ask that on TFL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner