Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jacket Collar Gap

WylieS

New in Town
Just got a new leather jacket (the Roadster from Thursday). Overall I'm really happy with the color and the way the jacket looks, but there is one detail in the fit I'm not crazy about: the collar gap. This is when the collar rides up off the back of your neck instead of sitting snug.

It was a little difficult to capture with pictures but I did my best. Compare this to the website pics. Obviously that's a model in a staged shoot, so here is a normal person.

I'm familiar with collar gaps in tailored jackets and formal wear, they can happen when the shoulder sloping of the jacket doesn't match your shoulders, when the chest is too tight, or when the armholes are too low, all things that will push the collar off of the back of your neck when wearing the jacket.

One option is to try to size up, but every other part of the jacket seems to fit just right. It fits right in line with the typical recommendations I've seen: just a little snug so it will stretch out to fit perfectly with wear.

Another option would just be to trust the jacket will start to fit a little better as it molds to me and this issue will largely go away.

I tried the clip trick I saw on this forum for straightening out leather collars, it seems to have worked a little to get a kink out of where the collar likes to fold but the gap is still there.

Or am I overthinking this whole thing? Any advice would be appreciated if anyone has experience with this!

IMG_6517.jpg

IMG_6518.jpg

IMG_6521.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
I have a lot of experience with leather jackets–I have 15 of them–and I don't see the problem with your jacket. If you want it to look like the picture in the website, wear a shirt with a collar as the model in the picture is doing. That takes up a lot of space between the collar and the neck.

Just keep wearing the jacket. As it breaks in and relaxes, any perceived problems will go away.

Yeah, I don't like that either... Had the same thing on one jacket and hated it. Honestly, this isn't a very good jacket at all from what I'm seeing here.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I see what you are talking about, but it doesn’t look bad to me in the photos you posted. Does it make the jacket uncomfortable to wear? If so, then it is a problem, but if not, I wouldn’t worry about it.

WylieS

New in Town
I see what you are talking about, but it doesn’t look bad to me in the photos you posted. Does it make the jacket uncomfortable to wear? If so, then it is a problem, but if not, I wouldn’t worry about it.

It feels great to me when I put it on, I'm really starting to think that I'm overthinking this.

barnabus

One Too Many
The whole collar looks like it's made up of straight lines at the moment, because it's still new and unbroken-in.

To me, that's why there's a gap. The collar's square and your neck is probably round. As it breaks in that will soften and likely disappear.

Wear it and enjoy it.

WylieS

New in Town
The whole collar looks like it's made up of straight lines at the moment, because it's still new and unbroken-in.

To me, that's why there's a gap. The collar's square and your neck is probably round. As it breaks in that will soften and likely disappear.

Wear it and enjoy it.

I can confirm that my neck is round

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner