Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chafing around neck with Aero Maxwell

onstar

One of the Regulars
Update on my Maxwell. So I dropped a few pounds and have been wearing my Maxwell with a T-shirt underneath and found the tightness or pinching around my pit is less of an issue. The major issue is chafing to the back of my neck. As @Canuckpanda mentioned before about the collar/neck, the opening is high. The collar is rubbing against the back of my neck when I'm wearing just a t-shirt. Non-issue with a collar shirt. This also did not happen with my old Maxwell. THey must have changed the designs or something

Anyone else with these problems?

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
That is the problem with jackets with such high collars. In wool suits, a tailor would fix that no problem. In leather it can still be corrected but is not going to be more labor intensive and not cheap if a tailor works on it.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
You need one size bigger than what you've got now. And custom taper so it doesn't bag out at the hem. Not just Aero but any brands you decide to pursue down the line. It's like your size 46 Schott but taper it down to 42, with a 46 top and sleeves.

My Maxwell collar is same as my Highwayman collar and is the same as my Board Racer collar which are quite comfortable. But I think the main culprit is you are wearing jacket one size too small at least. I understand the need to not have the jacket bag out at the hem, but downsizing isn't always the best route. One size bigger, tapered down and you won't have issue at the neck or at the pits. Even the tapered forearm would have a bit more room to fit a heavier flannel under but still would look good with just a T shirt because of the custom body taper. Plus the shoulder on the bigger size would also be a bit wider and give you more mobility room.

There is a way to make your collar bigger (like Photo said) by adding another strip that has butterflied seam at the base and so it would start folding backwards at the new lower seam. Some A2 jackets also had this mod shirt collar design to gain more neck room. I have some photos I need to find them. But it's best if you can just go up one size and have it tapered down then all your issues would be solved, imo. Like as if you had your size 46 Schott tapered down, same idea.

edit:
See below pics at the neck line. The two A2 jackets on the right has suit like collars that are higher up. The two on the left has an additional piece of break that "folds" the collar towards the back and also widens so it doesn't sit as up high as the two on the right.
IMG_2442.JPG

If you can find a competent tailor to do this to your Maxwell you would have a bigger and wider collar. But it would still be a T-shirt fit only jacket because the jacket is still one size too small everywhere else, especially pits and sleeve. That's why I suggest to go one size bigger and taper down.

I know the extra stripe works because I had it on my Field Leathers jacket. However, the rest of the jacket is still one size too small, and I wished I had just gotten one size larger and tapered down... Stuck in a difficult place on that one because the built quality is almost flawless... Go up a size and taper down!
The extra break stripe widens the collar from 18" to 19" and also folds further back by whatever the height of the break is.
IMG_9197.JPG
IMG_9195.JPG
IMG_9196.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner