Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flight jackets with leather (not knitted) cuffs/collar/waistband

Zetachaox

New in Town
I'm interested in finding a flight jacket with leather cuffs, waistband and collar, as well as side entry hand warmer pockets. So far I've seen that some commercial airlines use jackets like that in their uniforms. I've found a couple of options for sale but I have no idea regarding quality and was hoping to get a good price to quality balance:

Does any one have any experience with this sort of jacket and have any suggestions? Hopefully leaning towards the budget side; which I'm aware is tricky because quality often takes a nose dive.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Maybe check out the What Jacket Are You Wearing Today thread for some inspiration?

@Yamahana is looking like a boss in this recently posted Montgomery Wards that might fit the bill if you're OK with used/vintage:
MWY.jpeg

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
I don't know about a specific name but you might have some success if you look into law enforcement style jackets.

Given your location you could probably check out Johnson Leathers in San Francisco.

jchance

One of the Regulars
Four Speed’s Black Shadow is the A-1 version with no knits. They have a 40 and 42 in cowhide on JP yahoo auction and JP mercari right now, about $1000-1200 + shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_5157.jpeg
    IMG_5157.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5159.jpeg
    IMG_5159.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5160.jpeg
    IMG_5160.jpeg
    333.7 KB · Views: 41

Zetachaox

New in Town
Four Speed’s Black Shadow is the A-1 version with no knits. They have a 40 and 42 in cowhide on JP yahoo auction and JP mercari right now, about $1000-1200 + shipping.
Those are all way to expensive for my budget. I was hoping somewhere within 300-500. I know it's hard to get decent quality at that range. But I don't feel I can justify a big ticket purchase on my first jacket.

jchance

One of the Regulars
Those are all way to expensive for my budget. I was hoping somewhere within 300-500. I know it's hard to get decent quality at that range. But I don't feel I can justify a big ticket purchase on my first jacket.

You can try getting Fivestar Leather (M2M, made in Pakistan) to copy that design for about $250 total. Good hide selection to choose from, too.

Zetachaox

New in Town
I've been looking at Fivestar Leather on their site and the thread on this forum. I'm a bit worried about some complaints some members have regarding the fit.

jchance

One of the Regulars
I've been looking at Fivestar Leather on their site and the thread on this forum. I'm a bit worried about some complaints some members have regarding the fit.

I don’t understand how there are complaints about fit if they provided providing the measurements for Fivestar. Apologies, but I’m not caught up with the forum’s complaints. What were the fit complaints? If they don’t know their measurements and provided the wrong measurements, there would obviously a fit issue.

Zetachaox

New in Town
I've seen a couple of posts regarding people giving their measurements and getting jackets that don't fit they way they expected. Seems to be a bit of a crapshoot, so I'd rather go with something that's a bit more predictable. Specially since buying garments online without getting to try them on beforehand already has a bit of risk.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don’t understand how there are complaints about fit if they provided providing the measurements for Fivestar. Apologies, but I’m not caught up with the forum’s complaints. What were the fit complaints? If they don’t know their measurements and provided the wrong measurements, there would obviously a fit issue.
There is a thread dedicated to Five Star jackets that is close to 400 pages at this point. Spend a little time reading it and you will have a better idea why there are many complaints when it comes to Five Star.

El Marro

To the OP,
Cockpit USA makes a good jacket. I owned one of their G-1s and it was a good piece of gear. I dońt like the stretchy side adjusters on the jacket you posted because they always remind me of bad 1980s leather.
since you live in the Bay Area, I agree with another poster that you should make time to head over to Johnson Leathers in San Francisco. There is no substitute for trying on jackets in person and talking to people who know leather like the folks at Johnson do.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
G-8 flight jacket. I’m not sure the history behind it, but I’ve seen many top brands make these. They look like this
IMG_0982.jpeg

Its like a G-1 but all leather and some reinforcement bits like the shearling navy jackets.

Aloysius

Incorrect. There's much more to patterning than simply checking off measurements.

G-8 flight jacket. I’m not sure the history behind it, but I’ve seen many top brands make these. They look like this
View attachment 582443
Its like a G-1 but all leather and some reinforcement bits like the shearling navy jackets.

There's no such thing; it was a model name by some makers who wanted to sell Indiana Jones jackets to the flight jacket crowd. They made up a story about it being the original "G-8" flight jacket from the 1920s.

But on that count @Zetachaox an Indiana Jones jacket from the company that made it for the trilogy is actually the perfect leather jacket, in that it's quite affordable, has the styling you describe wanting, etc.

I would recommend that you get the Last Crusade jacket or Raiders jacket (not the "hero" versions) in goatskin. It's a very practical jacket, and the goatskin gives it a level of durability and water resistance that the lambskin doesn't have. It'll run you $300.

Happy customer pictured below:

ij%20last%20crusade.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'll go a step further in recommending Wested - many of their jackets, including the Indy styles, are available in custom versions for a mere $30 more. Custom sleeve and body lengths, choice of lining (go all cotton!), choice of leather type and hardware...

If you're like me and no standard-sized jacket will ever fit right - I always need the sleeves taken up - this is a tremendous bargain in the current market. I think it's just NUTS that people are paying a thousand dollars for Cockpit and Schott jackets in generic sizes... that might then need a $75 tailoring job immediately. (But then, I've been following this market for over twenty years, from back when a Cockpit/Cooper/Schott jacket was a more reasonable $199-350.) Anyway...

I've had a lambskin Raiders jacket for 20 years, it's a wonderfully comfortable and practical design. Once it gets too warm for my A-2s and moto/police jackets, the cotton-lined, no-knits Raiders is my go-to "summer weight leather". And despite decades of hearing Wested trashed here as "a movie-wardrobe-maker whose jackets aren't mil-spec tough", no seams have opened, the lining is intact, the zipper is fine, the lambskin looks great, etc., after 20 years of annual use.

(Longtime Loungers will recall that yeah, way back in 2006, I tore a huge gash across the back panel. Sure, lambskin isn't as tough as other leathers - but that's the tradeoff for its light weight, nice hand, and lovely drape. Anyway, I sent it back to Wested and they replaced the panel and shipped it back FOR FREE. I don't know that they ever exhibit quite that level of customer service now, but I'm never gonna stop being impressed!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner