Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cal-Leather jacket property of Freddie Mercury at Sotheby’s in London

Leather Walker

Practically Family
Hi Loungers,

I don’t really know how to expose this thread. I guess it’s lack of habit. I have decided to write about this topic because I consider that the jacket, the maker, the occasion and the owner deserve a single thread.

As I have put in the title, I'm going to talk about the Cal-Leather jacket that Freddie Mercury owned, which can be seen in the video of "Crazy Little Thing Called Love", "Don’t Stop Me Now", in the first 10 minutes of the Montreal concert in 1981, or in various promotional pictures that can be easily found on the internet. As you can see, a beautiful padded CHP Cal-Leather jacket.
89923649320834cb4dffed1e1ece8507.jpg

What’s the subject? Why this new threat and not a post on "Vintage Cals" or "Celebrities jackets? Well, first of all because I think this occasion deserves a single thread, as it is Freddie Mercury (whom I adore), his jacket (a Cal), and also because right now the auction house Sotheby’s in London exposes it along in two floors with the vast and infinite collection of Freddie's possessions that he treasured from his beginnings in the music.
46643RWG35CQHKIYY72J3NKNQ4.jpg
freddie-mercury-piano-1.jpg

A temporary exhibition that collects all his belongings (manuscript lyrics, photographs, clothes, furniture, instruments, jewellery, art...) that Freddie accumulated in his life. The sad part for the fans is that each and every item will be auctioned and will end up in the hands of the highest bidder, and separated forever. So this exhibition is unique and unrepeatable because all of Freddie’s belongings will be together for the last time until auctions begin. The reason? Summing up the matter, it can be said that whoever inherited Freddie's house and its contents, who was his long-time friend Mary Austin. Now she has decided it's time to move on, since she has been living with her family for the last 32 years in the house as Freddie left it. And so, by the way, fill her bank account a little.

Well, the point is I've visited London to see that exhibition, from Barcelona it's 2 hours and a half flight. Without going into details of the whole exhibition itself, just to say that for any fan of Queen and Freddie it's a wonder to be able to see and be in front of his famous handwritten songs, his instruments, outfits, personal items and cherished possessions. Although in my case, at times I had a bittersweet feeling: on the one hand I loved being there, on the other I couldn't stop thinking that this was a kind of disembowelment, since everything has a price tag and the main purpose is getting the maximum benefit, as it's not a museum, but the catalogue of an auction house.

Well, the jacket: you can see the lot in Sotheby's web, full pictures and description; a padded cross-zip Cal-Leather.
l23511-ck2rd-t1-01.jpg

I’ve had it within millimetres of my face, touched it a little ("not touch" signs everywhere, but scrw 'em!) and without being an expert in types of leather, I do can say it's top quality, horsehide probably. All zippers are Talon. No scratches or weak areas, I assure 'cause I have been inspecting it despite the strangeness glances that the security staff sent me. The jacket has some thread sticking out at the waistband, but no tears. And as a "defect", just a few whitish stains around the right armpit. The two waist laces are impeccable. I took multiple pics, but for not overloading the server, I put these two.
1693667422500.jpg

1693667473726.jpg

Now here is my intervention, which my partner recorded in video. I called a Sotheby’s worker who was there explaining details of different garments to the visitors. I went to her and told that I could complete some information of the jacket that Sotheby's web missed. Very attentive to my proposal, we went towards the jacket and, after explaining to her that I'm an enthusiast of vintage leather jackets, I told that if she'd raise one of the cuffs zipper, she'd find a strip of fur. No one, apart from Sotheby’s staff, can touch any object. And so she unzipped the left cuff and a black fur showed up, which looked new and soft, not like the furs many Cal have that looks like old fleece. Her face was of surprise, as she told me no one inspected that detail. The second "secret" I revealed to her was the size. Telling the jacket had only one inside pocket on its left side, I asked her to look inside, and she'd find a number written either blue or red pen. She did and was stunned, there was a "38" written in red as if it had been put on yesterday. The woman literally flipped. She asked two of her coworkers and they said no one had checked that. So after exchanging a few kind words with them, I followed the route of my visit.

I did that to convince myself that, thanks to the wisdom I have gained from this great forum, I now know details and things I didn't know before. I wanted to say, despite going blind I wanted to take a chance and say things that, maybe, there did not happen. But they did!

While I'm writing this, the latest online bid is £40,000 (crazy, right?) and surely it's going to rise when Sotheby’s holds live auctions of all the lots next week. I wish, but...

That’s my speech on Freddie Mercury’s Cal-Leather and the exhibition at Sotheby's in London. If you are a fan of Freddie Mercury and Queen, or even if you are not, and can visit it, go ahead. Sotheby's have put an exquisite place on at the height of one of the best musicians and rock superstars ever. I've talked here about this specific item, but the exhibition shows hundreds of objects that are wonderful to see up close.

I hope it entertained you as much as I did writing it, if you've had the patience or interest. Thank you. And eventually I apologize if making this thread instead of just posting at some existing one causes some inconvenience. But forgive me: I have not found a better way to talk about Freddie Mercury and his jacket, and to pay tribute to his contribution in the history of music, to his artistic and personal figure. A great lover of cats, he had a total of 10 almost all rescued in shelters.

mvilla

A-List Customer
That's pretty cool! I didn't even know that was happening now. Can you give more details about the expo? Is it free to enter? Until when is this happening? My daughter adores Queen and Freddie, and would be very entertaining (and a life memory) for a 10 year old to see it all.

Edit: oh well... It ends Tuesday, and her school starts tomorrow... That's a shame

1000088212.png

That's pretty cool! I didn't even know that was happening now. Can you give more details about the expo? Is it free to enter? Until when is this happening? My daughter adores Queen and Freddie, and would be very entertaining (and a life memory) for a 10 year old to see it all.

Edit: oh well... It ends Tuesday, and her school starts tomorrow... That's a shame

View attachment 544243
Even a better life-story if dad took her out of school day 1 to go see it!
I remember my mom pulling me out of school to see the Empire Strikes Back first showing.

mvilla

A-List Customer
Even a better life-story if dad took her out of school day 1 to go see it.
Lol problem is I already did that a couple months ago to take her to the royal air tattoo (and got a warning from school because of that). Problem is that time weather was utter shite and the experience was blemished... However I pretty much blew my chance there

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Lol problem is I already did that a couple months ago to take her to the royal air tattoo (and got a warning from school because of that). Problem is that time weather was utter shite and the experience was blemished... However I pretty much blew my chance there
Maybe you can try to pass it off as a "special activity" - kind a like a once-in-a-lifetime exhibition at a museum. Which it is. Freddie was a giant in the history of music, period. Your daughter I am sure would get inspired. Beats school any day.

Sumikkogurashi

New in Town
Great story and I appreciate you posting it. When I saw the first picture I said to myself "No way! Is that my jacket?!". I actually have owned this exact jacket for many years. I bought it on eBay for cheap because it was poorly photographed and not much info was posted. I thought it might be a Langlitz at first and then realized it was a Cal based on the missing label placement. I've had a few Cal jackets and even an amazing Star Glove jacket that I regret selling, but this particular jacket I've never wanted to let go even though I couldn't really understand why. I've added a few pictures and would be happy to take more of any part of the jacket if anyone is curious.

Attachments

• IMG_7469.JPG
    IMG_7469.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7474.JPG
    IMG_7474.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7473.JPG
    IMG_7473.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7472.JPG
    IMG_7472.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7471.JPG
    IMG_7471.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_7470.JPG
    IMG_7470.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7468.JPG
    IMG_7468.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 61

mvilla

A-List Customer
Maybe you can try to pass it off as a "special activity" - kind a like a once-in-a-lifetime exhibition at a museum. Which it is. Freddie was a giant in the history of music, period. Your daughter I am sure would get inspired. Beats school any day.
Alright, I'm convinced. Already agreed with my boss to take tomorrow off and I think my daughter will be suffering of a serious case of schoolioffys tomorrow

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alright, I'm convinced. Already agreed with my boss to take tomorrow off and I think my daughter will be suffering of a serious case of schoolioffys tomorrow

Make sure to sing Princes of the Universe on the way there.

Leather Walker

Practically Family
I hope you go in the end. You will absolutely enjoy it! I visited the exhibition twice on different days. On the first I arrived at 10:45 and had to wait a 1-hour line, on the second I arrived at 9:30, and went into along with the first visitors when they opened doors at 11 h. So go ahead of time if you have the chance.

mvilla

A-List Customer
You belong in the “Coolest Dad Hall of Fame”.
Dad bonus points for life!!
B
Thank you! I've been pretty strict lately, so I guess it will be refreshing to have a break. Besides I'm sure this'll be a memory for her life

Make sure to sing Princes of the Universe on the way there.
Haha she'll get the feeling, but I think it is better if I spare her from my singing skills

I hope you go in the end. You will absolutely enjoy it! I visited the exhibition twice on different days. On the first I arrived at 10:45 and had to wait a 1-hour line, on the second I arrived at 9:30, and went into along with the first visitors when they opened doors at 11 h. So go ahead of time if you have the chance.
I wish I read this before. We just got here like 11:30 and the queue is LITERALLY going around the block

1000088460.jpg

So close yet so far

mvilla

A-List Customer
I think the most fascinating thing here is that the red and black more 'rockstar' jacket right behind it also seems to be a CHP…
1000088476.jpg

I should've taken more photos and paid more attention, but honestly at this time I was just mesmerised at all of his trinkets and sharing a sort of dreamlike feeling with a 10 year old that I let it slip. Anyway, pretty cool experience.
They had a banner hanging with one of Freddie's sayings, something along the line "If I can make people feel happy, even if it is just for 1 hour, if I can make them smile and feel lucky, then I'm happy" (not exact quote, also something that I forgot to take a picture of), which was amazing, because that is exactly what we were feeling there, lucky to have had a chance to see everything.
Just one last note, Freddie was a British old lady in his soul, walking around the exhibit makes you feel you're visiting grandma's home lol

Jasonissm

Practically Family
View attachment 544554
I should've taken more photos and paid more attention, but honestly at this time I was just mesmerised at all of his trinkets and sharing a sort of dreamlike feeling with a 10 year old that I let it slip. Anyway, pretty cool experience.
They had a banner hanging with one of Freddie's sayings, something along the line "If I can make people feel happy, even if it is just for 1 hour, if I can make them smile and feel lucky, then I'm happy" (not exact quote, also something that I forgot to take a picture of), which was amazing, because that is exactly what we were feeling there, lucky to have had a chance to see everything.
Just one last note, Freddie was a British old lady in his soul, walking around the exhibit makes you feel you're visiting grandma's home lol
Woah, that's amazing, confirms what I suspected, the trim on the hem are all zipper tracks! Haven't seen anything like it, cool!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner