Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Late fathers vintage leather coat ,help with age and make

PDO

New in Town
Sorry, but Tenderly is BS- IMHO, and Dena does amazing work but Urad is not a product I would recommend.
Thank you , do you have any suggestions on what to use that would not change the colour /patenia very much .

PDO

New in Town
Vaseline works, but there are many threads on the topic, like this one:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/ultimate-leather-conditioner-comparison-on-reddit.101735/

The reason I don’t like Tenderly is while the jacket gets softer when wet, in 2-3 weeks it gets stiff again as if you’d done nothing. Urad is like varnishing your jacket. Good old Pecards is a pretty safe bet. Any darkening usually lightens back in a few months.
I read the thread before and it appears that most products appear to darken the jacket ---not to be unexpected . Checking Urads website for older jackets they suggest mixing together tenderly and there cream which contains both lanolin and carnauba wax . Not sure if this is meant to deal with the drying off of just strait tenderly . My experience with this product is as you note . Test patches returned to the previous condition in short order . I was only using very limited amounts of the product .

iknowleather

Vendor
clever! good tip

Thanks , i see what you mean . If I could find an old mannequin that may also work . I live in southern Ontario so I expect our climate is like yours , but a bit colder in winter and dryer . I cannot wear the jacket as its size 40 and the liner is quite fragile ----I am a 46 or 48 . The Jacket is quite dry and I have been researching leathers conditioners. Most appear to change the colour and the patina and i don't want to do that . Tries a bit of Urad Tenderly that I have used on leather boots and once dry , it did not appear to change the colour . Of course it may be doing nothing for the leather .
View attachment 554318
I love Tenderly!! Combined with the signature formula, Urad, it does amazing things for leatherjackets! I've tried Pecards, Leather Honey, and MANY others. In my experience (decades) nothing compares to the Urad line of products. Tenderly is straight cream, no wax. It just deeply moisturizes and can make lambskin feel just like silk. If you want a strictly matte finish it's all you need. It's the best for pull-up leathers!
For most cowhide and some horsehide I like using Urad after the Tenderly because it helps seal up loose fibers on cuff edges, etc, where the top layer of the skin is worn away. Since it has a little natural wax, it helps keep rain out but moisture in, helps protect from UV rays, and I personally just really like the look and feel of a little gloss. Depending on the condition of the leather (if it's not too dry) and you put it on without using the Tenderly first, it may get a little shiny. I recommend using the Urad on the edges of the cuffs, pocket edges, etc between whole jacket applications, to give them that extra protection. If you have a jacket that the edge of the cuffs have worn clear through and they have holes and are separating , well that's the damage I like to prevent with the signature Urad formula. But I always recommend the Tenderly. You can't go wrong with the stuff!

iknowleather

Vendor

iknowleather

Vendor
From my experience restoring thousands of leather jackets, I'm guessing you needed more than one application of the Tenderly. As for the Urad, I can guess the condition of your leather if you only used the Urad and found it to be very glossy. If the leather is dry I always fill the pores with the Tenderly first so when I go to put the Urad on it, I can get a very thin application for just a little gloss. If I want Urad on a jacket, I mix a little Tenderly in with it, even after an application of Tenderly. It makes it easier to control the amount of Urad you want on the jacket. Maybe a little more work to use a combination of products, but I find the result is well worth it!
FYI- if jackets come into the shop I can always tell if they have had something like vasoline, mink oil, that type of thing used on them. They feel like they've come out of a body shop or garage. Those types of products are good for sealing out moisture on your boots, but they attract dirt for one thing, and if someone has used mink oil on their jacket for years, they are sending it for repair because it is falling apart. You can literally take hold of it and pull it apart, the fibers just give way.
I hesitate to offer this because I don't want to offend or correct people. But perhaps the tip of judging just how much moisture you need to do the job, and how I've found to use the Urad for exceptional results could help.
Kindest regards,
Dena

PDO

New in Town
From my experience restoring thousands of leather jackets, I'm guessing you needed more than one application of the Tenderly. As for the Urad, I can guess the condition of your leather if you only used the Urad and found it to be very glossy. If the leather is dry I always fill the pores with the Tenderly first so when I go to put the Urad on it, I can get a very thin application for just a little gloss. If I want Urad on a jacket, I mix a little Tenderly in with it, even after an application of Tenderly. It makes it easier to control the amount of Urad you want on the jacket. Maybe a little more work to use a combination of products, but I find the result is well worth it!
FYI- if jackets come into the shop I can always tell if they have had something like vasoline, mink oil, that type of thing used on them. They feel like they've come out of a body shop or garage. Those types of products are good for sealing out moisture on your boots, but they attract dirt for one thing, and if someone has used mink oil on their jacket for years, they are sending it for repair because it is falling apart. You can literally take hold of it and pull it apart, the fibers just give way.
I hesitate to offer this because I don't want to offend or correct people. But perhaps the tip of judging just how much moisture you need to do the job, and how I've found to use the Urad for exceptional results could help.
Kindest regards,
Dena
Thank you for your detailed comments as everyone has difference experiences and thoughts on the subject . The Urad web site suggest a mixture of Tenderly and Urad . The coat was my late fathers and was last worn in the late 60,s and in storage since then and never treated with anything . Its a size 40 and i take a size 46 so I may just put it on a mannequin and display it if my wife allows me as she would like me to sell it . The jacket has such a nice patina and if quite beautiful to look at at least from my perspective .

Daniel Veit

One of the Regulars
Kindest regards,
Dena
Bookmarked ! Thank you.

Edward

Bartender
Great looking jacket. It would certainly be possible (if not exactly cheap) to have it framed in a wall-mounted 'box', like a museum display. Nice details on it, too - I like the back especially (I've had my eye on an Aero Sunburst for some time!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner