Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got my first and probably only leather jacket: Real Mccoy's Buco J-100

AndreSilva

New in Town
Hi guys. I was gathering some info on Reddit regarding leather jackets as I had a Japan trip booked and they told me about this forum, nice to be here :)

I did some research and added a few places to check in Japan, I checked jackets from The Real Mccoy's, Freewheeler and Flat Head... decided to go with The Real Mccoy's. Originally I had an appointment with Y2 but I fell in love with the Buco J-100 and decided to go for it.

20231102_200134.jpg

The Real Mccoy's store in Tokyo is amazing, most of the jackets are available to try in many different sizes. My idea was to get Buco's J-24, it was beautiful, but the fit was just not right, baggy and snug fit at the same time in different places.

The J-100 was love at first sight, it fit me well and is also easier to use in everyday situations IMO.
It's tricky for me to get a good fit in suits/coats/leather jackets, I have big shoulders/chest/back/arms, that upper part is bigger than the belly region, so usually I have to get bigger sizes and they just don't look right... but this one was pretty good, check the pictures, I got size 44, what do you think about the fit?

20231102_200451.jpg

20231102_200457.jpg

20231102_200525.jpg

20231102_200530.jpg

20231102_200549.jpg

To be perfect, on the back part(lats), a 46 would be better, and on the belly side a 42 would be better, so I went with the 44. It's a bit tight on the biceps and the upper back when I cross my arms, but nothing crazy, I guess 44 was a good choice, just wish the sleeves were a bit shorter, but when I tried a 42 I basically couldn't move and I could barely zip it in the chest region. As the elbow region creases, the sleeves are already getting a bit shorter, and when I sit/drive, the length is perfect.

My wife decided to get some horsehide leather cushions, they look awesome :D
20231108_141104.jpg

After I decided to buy, they spent 15/20 minutes checking for imperfections in the leather. They found some minor details that I would never have noticed, so they found another one size 44, and gave me to try and check again, this one was perfect. They tested all the zippers and buttons MANY times to be sure that everything was working as expected, checking the stitching in all areas, I never experienced this level of quality control on purchase time, it was great!

IMG_0214.JPG

This is in front of the Tokyo store, I highly recommend the visit!

Attachments

• 20231108_141104.jpg
    20231108_141104.jpg
    706.8 KB · Views: 52

AndreSilva

New in Town
Welcome to the forum! The fit seems fine. The sleeves are too long, hopefully they come up a bit as creases develop.
Thanks!
Yep, they are a bit up already, but it's not gonna be perfect I guess. Not a big deal though, I know that with my body type I'll always have to compromise something when it comes to fitting

jeo

One Too Many
The body length is just long on these jackets, that’s how they fit. And as for the sleeves I’m sure you can zip them up a little and it won’t look as long or they’ll kind of sit on the wrist and bunch up a bit further up the arm. They’ll also look better as you wear it.

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
Looks great!
I think the sleeves look fine, it’s the one holdover I have from growing up a GenX kid. I like when they’re a little long ‍♂️
But you nailed the torso, snug but not like a sausage casing. It'll look amazing after you wear it for a few months!
Congrats!!

onstar

One of the Regulars
What are you measurements - wieght/height and chest/shoulder size? It looks like it fits you well. I have a muscular build and I usually stay away from the Japanese stuff because of the narrow shoulders and range of motions

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Looks like a good fit, I think you should definitely zip the sleeves, these jackets look much better that way, stops the sleeve from being too long as well because it stops it from going past your wrist and creases across the length of the arm instead.

I think 46 would be too big, 44 is a good call.

AndreSilva

New in Town
Looks great!
I think the sleeves look fine, it’s the one holdover I have from growing up a GenX kid. I like when they’re a little long ‍♂️
But you nailed the torso, snug but not like a sausage casing. It'll look amazing after you wear it for a few months!
Congrats!!
Thanks man! I'm very happy with how the torso fits too, it's not easy to find jackets that fit well in that area for me!

AndreSilva

New in Town
What are you measurements - wieght/height and chest/shoulder size? It looks like it fits you well. I have a muscular build and I usually stay away from the Japanese stuff because of the narrow shoulders and range of motions
Yep, I always had that problem, that is probably the only con of having a muscular build =)
To be honest, I never took my measurements, but I'm 1.78 and 97kg. Shoulders are perfect for me, but still have some mobility problems due the lats, but I guess that will mold more in the future.

AndreSilva

New in Town
Looks like a good fit, I think you should definitely zip the sleeves, these jackets look much better that way, stops the sleeve from being too long as well because it stops it from going past your wrist and creases across the length of the arm instead.

I think 46 would be too big, 44 is a good call.
Indeed, I tried 46 and although I had more mobility, it looked too baggy, not good.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I had one of these in a size 42 (I'm usually a 40). It fit great everywhere except the elbow/forearm area which was too tight. I assumed this was the way they all fit, but your arms are quite a bit bigger than mine - and the sleeves don't appear tight in your pics.

AndreSilva

New in Town
I had one of these in a size 42 (I'm usually a 40). It fit great everywhere except the elbow/forearm area which was too tight. I assumed this was the way they all fit, but your arms are quite a bit bigger than mine - and the sleeves don't appear tight in your pics.
It's a bit tight on the biceps and in the elbow(only when I flex the arm), but nothing crazy, it's already starting to crease a bit.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This fits you far better than the vast majority of J-100 fits I see online!

It's probably because you actually tried them on in store and got the size that fits, whereas people who order online take it as an ego hit to have to size up in number from their western size, and come out looking like a Shinki-wrapped sausage.

AndreSilva

New in Town
This fits you far better than the vast majority of J-100 fits I see online!

It's probably because you actually tried them on in store and got the size that fits, whereas people who order online take it as an ego hit to have to size up in number from their western size, and come out looking like a Shinki-wrapped sausage.
Shinki-wrapped sausage :D
It's a shame that we can't just go into a shop overseas and try all the sizes like we can in their own shops in Japan, it would make those decisions much easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner