Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

30 year old Steerhide Aero...SQUEAKY

Superkav

New in Town
Hi all

I recently picked up this 30 year old Steerhide Aero Highwayman and while I absolutely love it, it squeaks...a lot.
My other HWM is a 2 year old CXLFQHH so I'm not used to these noises at all. The Steerhide itself feels very thick and the jacket is in excellent condition and hasn't had much wear since it was new.
It's not a huge issue but is there any way to reduce the squeak, could it be that a previous treatment has made it squeaky or is this common to the leather type?
For those who are interested it's a size 40 and the lining was a custom option available at the time (early 90s) which is a very thick, almost blanket like material. Unfortunately a few inside labels have been removed so one of them may have provided that info.
I'd be interested if anyone else has an Aero of this vintage who could identify the lining. These are the original ebay pics plus one of me wearing it

Attachments

• HWM6.jpg
    HWM6.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 141
  • HYM1.jpg
    HYM1.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_4724.jpeg
    IMG_4724.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 132

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Chances are that a previous owner used too much wax based conditioner such as Obenaufs on the jacket. Does it feel sticky? You could try removing some wax by cleaning it with cleaning benzine.

Superkav

New in Town
No it doesn’t feel sticky at all, just a regular leathery feel. Maybe that’s just what Steerhide sounds like when it moves around

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Nice jacket. Wear and enjoy it for a while and see if the squeaks calm down a bit.
Then worry about the squeaks....or not ? Forget about benzine...

Last edited:

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
I many leather jackets that are rather boisterous and just let them be as loud as they want to be. After all, they want to be worn and are letting you know how much they appreciate being worn by creaking at you. I do have a few that are rather 'soft spoken' in regards to announcing their presence while being worn but most are rowdy souls. It seems the older the jacket is the louder it becomes over time. I can imagine your 30 year old jacket is the center of attention while being worn!

Peacoat

Bartender
Two things have been recommended in a thread dedicated to squeaks:

Put a powder on the seams as the threads are what tend to squeak.

Or, apply a conditioner such as Pecard on the threads. I have used this method in the past with success.

Good luck.

Khilij

One of the Regulars
I second Pecards. It works great if you want to give that a try, as Peacoat said.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Nice MGB-GT there - that your daily driver? :)

A good coat or two of Urad-Tenderly should quiet it down some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner