Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero leather help

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That is false. The thinner CXL batches were a fluke/mistake. They might have some remaining in stock. Last time I talked to Aero they still had some black and some cherry thinner CXL HH.
A nice mistake/fluke. I have the thinner cherry cxl and it is a pleasure to wear, and CXL finishing.
But the norm is 3 to 3.5oz. If closer to 3 then it’s relatively manageable, even for first timers, but if it’s on the heavier side of 3.5oz then maybe not for first timers. It’s not really the weight but the time it takes for the thicker ones to soften up.

nattevagten

A-List Customer
That’s not the information I got. I could swear in an email I exchanged with Denny, Aero was looking for 3oz and under. The 4-4.5oz (steer) hides are actually the anomaly. But an email to them direct is of course the best route.
Denny himself wrote here quite recently, in July, that the thin CXL batches are not a regular thing. I quote:

“For clarity the lighter skins we had were from a couple of batches we received during a time when Horween were having trouble sourcing Raw hides of a suitable quality for Chromexcel. We did not specify these light skins, and they are not a regular offering. But as above we have always been able to selct lighter / or heavier skins on request ( this is from what ever batch we happen to have in stock at the time of cutting)”

Denny himself wrote here quite recently, in July, that the thin CXL batches are not a regular thing. I quote:

“For clarity the lighter skins we had were from a couple of batches we received during a time when Horween were having trouble sourcing Raw hides of a suitable quality for Chromexcel. We did not specify these light skins, and they are not a regular offering. But as above we have always been able to selct lighter / or heavier skins on request ( this is from what ever batch we happen to have in stock at the time of cutting)”
That’s a bit of a shame. Having owned several CXL jackets I think anything over 3 oz is fairly miserable to wear. I’d like to see a 2.5oz version like GW had a few years back. Would also expand the pattern base the hide can be used for.

nattevagten

A-List Customer
That’s a bit of a shame. Having owned several CXL jackets I think anything over 3 oz is fairly miserable to wear.
I think I'd draw the line somewhere around 4 oz, with around 3 oz or 1.2 mm being ideal. My SB in CXL steer is close to 5 oz or 2 mm (might be slightly less) - the jacket feels like a damn prison when layered! No joke!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner