Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

“Vegan” felt?

I’ve been seeing ads for hats built on “vegan felt” bodies.

I’ll reserve judgement until I actually handle one of the things. But I don’t anticipate being favorably impressed.

The advertised prices are low, though, comparable or even lower than wool felts. If they hold up as well or better than wool (a low bar, but still), and if the “hand” is no less acceptable than wool (ditto), I could see there being a market for ’em.

^^^^^
I recall a debate some years back on just what Stetson Vita-Felt was. Casein used to supplement the fur was the consensus, as I recall. Hamburger Helper, pretty much.

As I already said, I’ll reserve judgement on “vegan” felt until I get some actual experience with it. My expectations aren’t high, but I don’t discount the possibility I’ll be surprised.

I got nothing against cheap hats, provided they aren’t being offered as something better than they are. Around here paper straw Westerns are warm-weather staples among people who get their hands dirty on the job. A true paja toquilla straw hat is just too precious for that kind of use, and the cheapies keep the sun off one’s face every bit as well.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
https://hatsmithe.com/about/

I understand that Hat Smithe sells 100% polyester hats. They advertise on their website that they make "Vegan friendly headware." It is listed that the polyester originates in China. It shows that the vegan friendly hat material is "least worst." This is an instance where a healthy dose of skepticism and a modicum of reservations can steed us well when reading the claims, IMO.

Perhaps an organic hat or even a range free hat is on the horizon.

Eric -

https://hatsmithe.com/about/

I understand that Hat Smithe sells 100% polyester hats. They advertise on their website that they make "Vegan friendly headware." It is listed that the polyester originates in China. It shows that the vegan friendly hat material is "least worst." This is an instance where a healthy dose of skepticism and a modicum of reservations can steed us well when reading the claims, IMO.

Perhaps an organic hat or even a range free hat is on the horizon.

Eric -
Things certainly get complicated in today's world......yes, a polyester hat is vegan but then it is made from hydrocarbons. So you placate one special interest group and get another picketing outside your house. Tough to win at things these days no matter how hard one tries.

Edward

Bartender
When I googled Vegan felt, I got a few results that seem to be made of bamboo fibers. If it is remotely comparable to fur felts as far as hats are concerned, sure why not! At the very least someone can tap into a niche market.

Indeed. I have no ideological commitment to furfelt; if they can somehow use bamboo to equate all the properties of furfelt but cheaper, I'm all for it. Jings, if they can make it so that it does copy all the properties of fur including durability and it's the same price, I'd still consider it over fur. My bamboo fabric poloshirts have never been damaged by moths. My wool-base knit wear and tailoring, (and my furfelt hats) I can't say the same....

^^^^^
I recall a debate some years back on just what Stetson Vita-Felt was. Casein used to supplement the fur was the consensus, as I recall. Hamburger Helper, pretty much.

As I already said, I’ll reserve judgement on “vegan” felt until I get some actual experience with it. My expectations aren’t high, but I don’t discount the possibility I’ll be surprised.

I got nothing against cheap hats, provided they aren’t being offered as something better than they are. Around here paper straw Westerns are warm-weather staples among people who get their hands dirty on the job. A true paja toquilla straw hat is just too precious for that kind of use, and the cheapies keep the sun off one’s face every bit as well.
It was used in small amounts in Europe by major manufacturers. I have production information from the 1970s.

Edward

Bartender
I don't know why these alternative materials are being explored when beavers can just be shaved for their fur.

"Fouquet also prefers sustainable hat materials, such as beavers harvested for fur and felt in the Czech Republic. (No harm is done to the beavers when they are shaved)."

https://blindfoldmag.com/nick-fouqu...ice-beachwriter-photography-by-scout-hebinck/

Wait..... is that for real? That could sell a lot of furfelt. I wonder if that would be considered vegan? I know they don't do eggs / milk and such because they consider that exploitation, but I've yet to encounter a vegan who doesn't wear wool (I can only assume the consideration there is that it would be cruel not to shear those sheep, and then not to use the wool is wasteful.).

Wait..... is that for real? That could sell a lot of furfelt. I wonder if that would be considered vegan? I know they don't do eggs / milk and such because they consider that exploitation, but I've yet to encounter a vegan who doesn't wear wool (I can only assume the consideration there is that it would be cruel not to shear those sheep, and then not to use the wool is wasteful.).
I have a friend (a real one, not imaginary!) that is vegan. She won't eat honey as she considers it theft!

Edward

Bartender
I have a friend (a real one, not imaginary!) that is vegan. She won't eat honey as she considers it theft!

That I can reconcile easier in terms of logic. It's not for me, but I can see the thinking at least. Like vegetarianism twenty years ago or so, veganism is now having its moment in the sun where there are those who are ethically committed, and those for whom it is simply fashionable. As is the case for any alternative group (including fedora wearers) that's a mixed blessing....

Edward

Bartender
Not real. Like kangaroos, beaver cant be farmed. Can't imagine a wild caught one sitting still for a shave. The mags name says it all. Blind to reality, sort of like a Fouquet hat wearer.

Ah! I missed that. Him I've heard of, so I just assume Blindfold was a Sugar Ape for our times...

That I can reconcile easier in terms of logic. It's not for me, but I can see the thinking at least. Like vegetarianism twenty years ago or so, veganism is now having its moment in the sun where there are those who are ethically committed, and those for whom it is simply fashionable. As is the case for any alternative group (including fedora wearers) that's a mixed blessing....
She stays with us a few days each month and we cater to her veganism. It is a break from our normal eating routine and somewhat fun. And if I need more sustenance I cook a pork chop and throw it on top of whatever veganism we are eating that night.

I don't know why these alternative materials are being explored when beavers can just be shaved for their fur.

"Fouquet also prefers sustainable hat materials, such as beavers harvested for fur and felt in the Czech Republic. (No harm is done to the beavers when they are shaved)."

https://blindfoldmag.com/nick-fouqu...ice-beachwriter-photography-by-scout-hebinck/
Yeah, that one gives me a chuckle, too. Not only is it absurd to think that a beaver is “harvested” and shaved without doing any harm to the big wet rodent, but then there’s the double entendre.

I’ve had friends who know that I make hats, but who know next to nothing about hats themselves, send me links to that guy’s stuff. Whole lotta sizzle, hardly any steak.

Yeah, that one gives me a chuckle, too. Not only is it absurd to think that a beaver is “harvested” and shaved without doing any harm to the big wet rodent, but then there’s the double entendre.

I’ve had friends who know that I make hats, but who know next to nothing about hats themselves, send me links to that guy’s stuff. Whole lotta sizzle, hardly any steak.
I too thought that shaving the beavers is more humane that giving them the full Brazilian!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo