Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

“WTF’ Hats,” that are hard to believe...

Correus

Familiar Face

Attachments

• 20200416_174718.jpg
    20200416_174718.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 48
Ok...Ok.....here is mine.....
View attachment 526691
Backstory: Ten years ago a Lions of Illinois District 1-K leadership member decided we (the Governor Team) NEEDED to each have one of these for a convention. Somewhere in the ether of the internet are photographs of us wearing them around that whole weekend!:rolleyes:
:oops:
Truth be told...we had a GREAT weekend!!!!
:)

How could you not?

Correus

Familiar Face
Ok...Ok.....here is mine.....
View attachment 526691
Backstory: Ten years ago a Lions of Illinois District 1-K leadership member decided we (the Governor Team) NEEDED to each have one of these for a convention. Somewhere in the ether of the internet are photographs of us wearing them around that whole weekend!:rolleyes:
:oops:
Truth be told...we had a GREAT weekend!!!!
:)

Mine doesn't fit very well and there is really nothing supporting the upper part enabling it to hold its shape to the heights of its glory. I even have a golden eagle and chain the fits on the front of it, but the weight really brings it down. I need to take it to a hatter and see about improving it.

Somewhat in line with the horned hats we saw above is this one.

satanskerk2.jpg

lamers2.jpg

A rather unique specimen to be sure. You'd have to make it to the rank of magister of the church of satan. Hard to believe though that anyone could take a black mass seriously wearing a hat like that. But the fellow wearing it is at least as interesting as the hat. We see Maarten Lamers, head of the church of satan in the Netherlands. He was an actor and director and while in the US trying to get the rights to perform "Oh Calcutta" he came across the Satanic Bible by Anton LaVey which peaked his interest. He met up with LaVey in Los Angeles and they got along very well. Upon his return he founded the Dutch branch of the church of Satan in Amsterdam, which caused quite a stir. Not as much of a stir though as the Abbey of the sisters of Walburga which was located right next door and was the precursor to the Bananabar, which still exists. If you have to ask why it's called that; don't! Let's say the sisters of Walburga had their own special ways to express their spiritual and religious experiences. Needless to say it was very popular. Lamers mused once that it must have been the safest place around at the time, because both inspectors from the fire department and the police came around so often that there was hardly any room for anyone else. All in the line of duty of course.
The Church was in constant battle with both the police and the tax-authorities because Lamers refused to pay taxes, because it was a church. The revenue services begged to differ and things finally came to a head in 1988 when all of the assets of the church and abbey were seized. The remaining assets that is, because only a day before Lamers collected everything that wasn't nailed down and made off for France. The man knew a good thing when he saw it because soon after he ventured into the telephone business which was about to explode onto the world. Set up a company and a few years later let himself be bought out for a sum that ran into the tens of millions. After a few failed attempts at other endeavors, which all failed, he bought himself Chateau de Montbrun in France, which he restored and where he still lives today. It's for sale though, so if you have somewhere around $15.000.000 in spare change it can be yours. Maybe he'll throw in that Baron Harkonnen chair that HR Giger gifted him.

Château_de_Montbrun_le_1er_Mai_2012_resize.jpg

Bit of a long story about a hat and a guy, but I remember as a youth the man was the talk of the village, because the pictures above where taken in an old church building in the hamlet of Etersheim, which is not far from where I live. It was a separate location to celebrate black mass. Devilworshippers and naked ladies in an old church was a bit much for the poor people of Etersheim, where the most shocking occurence up until then was a car parked on the wrong side of the road.
Lamers himself never took it very seriously but he played the part with relish and was always well-mannered and well-spoken.

If I had $15,000,000 sitting around, I’d buy that place just for the hell of it.
It's probably the upkeep of the place that would be the problem. Quite a bit of history to the place though; apparently Richard the Lionheart died there and where his entrails were buried (and not in Châlus-Chabrol, where he was killed). Bits of Richard were buried all over the place, so it could well be true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy