Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ꓷ - Pocket double rider anyone?

Right side D pocket jacket for left hand access?

• Total voters

Mr. Hide

Familiar Face
Here to bring it to light. Yes you read that "D" the right way the first time... To all my fellow 2 wheel riders, southpaws, circus freaks, and freaks in general for the Double D, who would love to see a right sided D-pocket leather jacket accessible with the left hand.

Mandarin

Practically Family
There are 2 ways to deal with an asymetrical pattern

1) adapt:

Jimi.jpg

2) go custom:

kurt-cobain-58b973025f9b58af5c485bc8.jpg

Mr. Hide

Familiar Face
@Mandarin even in the world of customs I haven't seen this done... I recently reached out to Field Leathers (Greg) to see if they'd be up to the task.

@Bfd70 I swear I've attempted a thorough search around here but no threads specifically focusing on this idea

@Canuck Panda More like a mirrored version of the traditional. With the right chest overlapping the left. The above interpretation/version is probably the most functional but I rather like the styling of an absent pocket on one side.

Gauging interest for this and hoping to put it out there in the stratosphere. Hoping the custom leather makers out there might consider an offering for us.

Mandarin

Practically Family
The problem is, if you reverse sides (right chest overlapping the left), it's no longer a matter of wether the jacket is for the right handed or the left handed, but for men or ladies.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have these pockets on some Buzz Rickson's stuff and anything I put in them falls out. I think they're called half moon pockets.

Edward

Bartender
The problem is, if you reverse sides (right chest overlapping the left), it's no longer a matter of wether the jacket is for the right handed or the left handed, but for men or ladies.

@Hidenseek - Mandarin is right here. As a spouthpaw myself, I've also given this some thought, and dismissed it for this reason. Course, I also don't use the pockets on the front of a bike jacket - for me they're just for decoration mostly.

If you want a D pocket that is more accessible to the left hand, though, the answer is the Aero Daytona, which addresses this issue by keeping the D on the left hand side of the jacket, but reversing it so the entry pocket is on the left. Maybe we should call it a B pocket?

1702931784641.png
1702931798083.png

https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/mens/daytona/mto020

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Hello and yes.. If you're referring to my moniker being similar to Aero's, I was made aware by others shortly after signing up. It was a coincidental. Not here to defame or discredit Aero and their work.
No problem - thanks for the clarification!

Have you tried reaching out to Johnson Leathers for this sort of request?

I realize that it would go against what tradition dictates but are we really That insecure to still feel this matters?

Nothing to do with insecurity. It just is what it is. Wear what you want o brave enlightened one.

If I see you I’ll think that dude is wearing a ladies jacket. And move on and never think of it again. Custom? I’ll think that dude made himself a ladies jacket. I may take a good look at your face to see who would do that. Then move and never think of you again. It’s all good. Wear what you want. I’m going to go jam to Aerosmtih’s “Dude, looks like a lady” now.

The Aero Daytona seems like a good solution.

Mr. Hide

Familiar Face
@Hidenseek - Mandarin is right here. As a spouthpaw myself, I've also given this some thought, and dismissed it for this reason. Course, I also don't use the pockets on the front of a bike jacket - for me they're just for decoration mostly.

If you want a D pocket that is more accessible to the left hand, though, the answer is the Aero Daytona, which addresses this issue by keeping the D on the left hand side of the jacket, but reversing it so the entry pocket is on the left. Maybe we should call it a B pocket?

View attachment 571575 View attachment 571576

https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/mens/daytona/mto020
I suspected the resistance all this while to be the reason @Mandarin stated and honestly, it's probably only painfully obvious for motorcyclists. Others chimed in on another thread when I brought this up and the sentiment was shared for riding.

Aero's Daytona or the Schott that @Canuck Panda posted are likely the best compromise but it would be nice to not give up the design aesthetic. The zip just looks out of place on the curve I think.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Not a reverse D pocket, which I have also seen, I just need to find the picture. It's not vintage design but more after the 60s/70s, also was a Harley branded jacket if I remember correctly.

The Champ/Elvis jacket has the extra "handwarmer" pocket for that left hand access. I find a welt pocket more useful than a patched on leather pocket.

1702940734108.jpeg

Or you can do the \ / pockets if you want to access using left hand. I have this type of pockets on my JL custom jacket.

1702940832054.jpeg

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
you mean D pocket on the small side of the front of a cross zip, no, because it will look too busy, visually will be unbalanced to me, but if the slant is more progressive like Langlitz Death's Head then D pocket on the right side of the body with left hand access, but I wonder how that jacket looks worn un zipped/ unbuttoned

barnabus

One Too Many
I'm left handed and I've literally never had any problem putting anything into my pocket because I'm not right handed.

I ride too, and it's not been an issue. To the extent that I'm baffled that it's been a problem for anybody else.

That said, if you want a particular thing you feel would make your life easier, then get that thing made.

I suspect that if there was an actual demand for this design then it would already exist. Like left handed scissors do.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think when riding your right hand is more flexible than the left hand, the left hand need to control the clutch while the right hand can let the throttle off for sometime and reaching into the jacket's pockets light up cigarette or whatever as long as the clutch is controlled, so mirroring the pocket for riding sake is not an argument I think. unless you ride an automatic scooter or moped.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know what you're all up to on the bike, but it's unlikely that I'll need anything from my jacket pockets while riding. In this respect, I don't really care which side the pockets are on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner