Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1910 Color Photography

Katzenjammer

Familiar Face
Apologies if this has been posted already, but I'm amazed by this batch of photos:

Russia in Color, A Century Ago

"...photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863-1944) undertook a photographic survey of the Russian Empire with the support of Tsar Nicholas II. He used a specialized camera to capture three black and white images in fairly quick succession, using red, green and blue filters, allowing them to later be recombined and projected with filtered lanterns to show near true color images. The high quality of the images, combined with the bright colors, make it difficult for viewers to believe that they are looking 100 years back in time - when these photographs were taken, neither the Russian Revolution nor World War I had yet begun."

Geesie

Practically Family
That's incredible. I only wish there had been a good representation of Moscow and St Petersburg. It's always neat (to me) to see a heavily urbanized area from a time before all the skyscrapers and apartment complexes. When some of the impressive churches were really the highlights of the skyline.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Really enjoyed these photos, thanks for posting! I had a chance to look through them last night, and during my lunch today. Great quality shots and very interesting.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
These are stunning, and indeed look as if they could have been taken yesterday with a high-tech digital camera.

I always feel more connected to the past when I look at early color photographs....the color aspect makes the people seem more real to me, somehow.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Wow. Incredible.

I've always been fascinated with Russia, especially after taking a Russian history class in college.

Katzenjammer

Familiar Face
I wish there were a few more urban scenes on display, but I guess the aim was to capture the country's natural beauty and document rural life.

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
absolutely haunting

why does it seem like grass, trees, and flowers should've looked different than they have for eons when you see them in black and white, but when they're in color you realize, "HEY! IT WAS THE SAME!"

Silly thought, but it's just so overpowering to see REAL people 100 years ago in scenes that look like ours, in colors that look like ours, and who look like us. Bravo!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yes, b&w photography has a way of dating the images, and removing the subjects from our reality. It is almost shocking, bordering on unbelievable, to see color photos of people and things that our brains are so accustomed to seeing in black and white.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy