Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s/1930s Hat Brands

physicsyid

New in Town
Hi everyone, this is actually my first post here on TFL! For many years, I have always wanted to get a real fedora. Finally last week, I made it out to Bencraft Hatters in Williamsburg and got set up with a grey Stetson Frederick (wool felt, 2" brim). I absolutely love it! In the subsequent days, I also picked up a 1950s brown Stetson Ivy League and a vintage grey Dobbs on fleabay. I wanted to tap the expertise on this forum: what fedora brands would have been around in the 1920s/1930s? Like...what did John Dillinger wear when he was robbing banks or Capone when he was icing the latest guy that didn't pay his bill? Not that these guys are characters to look up to, I just love the whole 20s/30s style.

This is somewhat like the four questions of the Passover seder... the answer will delay dinner for hours. Please review the sticky for Important Hat Forum threads. All the brands that are represented by a dedicated thread existed in some form during the 1920s and 1930s. You will see hundreds of examples by perusing these threads.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
As with Autos, the 20's was likely the peak in number of manufacturers, closing or consolidating during the Depression and then mostly going out of business in the 60's and 70's. At least 20X the number that remained in the 60's. Manufacturers were already complaining of declining sales in the 20's.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran