Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s and early 30s repro?

Avalon

A-List Customer
So here's the thing. While I'm sure I could find a few 20s-inspired pieces in mainstream stores due to the latest trend (thank you Miss 1929 for pointing that out! ;) ), do you ladies know of any vintage-repro stores online that include this era? I'm having a devil of a time finding anything earlier than 1940s. (Of course, I'm still fairly new at this, so I might've missed something.) I've found a few authentic vintage sites, but it's so far out of my price range as to be mean. lol

Thanks! :D

texasgirl

One Too Many

olive bleu

One Too Many
Frankly,I am mostly sewing my own these days. Actual vintage 20's and 30's clothes that are in wearable condition are mainly too expensive for my pocketbook, and so are good repros. Especially something that can really be considered "day wear" is nearly impossible to find anyway.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
texasgirl said:
If you're thinking more along the lines of a flapper idea, leluxe on eBay has some gorgeous beaded gowns.
They look swell on too. I tried a few on at the Queen Mary Art Deco Weekend this year. With the right slip, they would really pass for the real thing to any eyes but ours!

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Has anyone ever seen repro plaid stockings? I won a pair on ebay years ago but never paid for them(I am really regretting this now!). Even a pair of tights would work b/c then I can cut them and hem to top.

Samantha

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Too bad about the fabrics and zippers

texasgirl said:
I do 30s reenacting and we have 20s themed parties occasionally, so I am always on the lookout too- and it's hard-especially 30s.

Here are a couple you can have made. I have been thinking that I might do one when I get down to my goal weight

http://www.dancingdaughters.com/line_norma.html

http://www.dancingdaughters.com/line_mabel.html

http://www.dancingdaughters.com/line_louise.html

If you're thinking more along the lines of a flapper idea, leluxe on eBay has some gorgeous beaded gowns.

Those look pretty cute in the drawings, but only available in polyester, and with BACK ZIPPERS? They couldn't even take the trouble to put the closure on the side?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Pricepoints are good for vintage repros, but the fabrics... there's a link to a photo in the link on the side of the page. Kudos to her for what she's doing, though. :eusa_clap

Try Nataya for some vintage inspired stuff. Here's an online boutique with some of their dresses. I am getting my bridesmaids dresses through them. (and they come in plus sizes, too!)

I've been drooling over the things from Le Luxe for quite a while, too...

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
You could go on Ebay, the price point for a lot of 1920's is pretty low compared to retail prices, you could also look for some dresses from the 1960's and 1970s. I have seen a lot of 1970's dresses that could pass for a 1930's dress, since that era came back into style really strongly in the 70's.

Mojito

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
They look swell on too. I tried a few on at the Queen Mary Art Deco Weekend this year. With the right slip, they would really pass for the real thing to any eyes but ours!

I've always liked dealing with Leluxe too...I've found the bandeaux very useful if I'm looking for a specific colour for an outfit, and I bought a silver 20s style slip from them last year to wear under an original dress and was very pleased with it. She's a very prompt shipper and quick to respond to communications. I saw a couple of the beaded dresses she sells at the Art Deco weekend in Napier this year, and they looked rather lovely.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Has anyone ordered from Our Dancing Daughters before? Are they still in business? I'm wondering only because their site has been up for so long and it's never been updated, it makes me wonder if it's been forgotten about by the owner.

I'm really considering ordering the Lupe outfit to wear to a wedding this summer.

http://www.dancingdaughters.com/line_lupe.html

Do you think it's too casual? I think it would look cute with a little hat and gloves and a bag.

I like the idea of having a seperate blouse and skirt so that I can have the flexibility to mix and match with other clothing.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Interesting thread, ladies.

I am inclined to sew, since there isn't really much choice of repro 20s/30s except for Evening wear. If I can't get original when there is something particular I want, then at least I can make something strong and in the right sort of fabric/ colour I want.

I wish Vogue and Butterick would do more 20s/30s patterns. It's all 40s/50s at the moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland