Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920's blouse--What to pair with it?

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I had an amazing find yesterday, after feeling kind of down in the dumps, I headed over to Goodwill and shifted through the racks, while scouring through the blouses, I came upon a little beaded blouse, I thought surely it must be new because it is in perfect condition, but as I gazed at the details, the silk fabric, the hand stitching, the finish, the snaps, I figured out what I had in my hand was a real 1920's blouse, I got it for $5. Now that I have this piece, what in the heck do I wear it with? Its boxy like most 1920's items and made from a very sheer silk and heavily beaded, it almost looks like it should go over some kind of underdress. Anyone have any ideas? Sorry I didn't post pics, my camera is broken.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I'm not really a 20s gal, but whether or not it's an authentic look, I say pair it with a mid-salf length gored skirt that fits through the hips and flares a little at the bottom.

Mojito

One Too Many
Sounds like a lovely find, NicolettaRose. Seperates were popular in the 1920s - although you don't see as many examples surviving as you do dresses, coats etc.

How about a first half of the decade look? Narrow style skirts had been popular since the teens, and in the early 20s were often pleated (either wide or narrow pleats) or were softly gathered to a wide waistband, dirndl style. Susan Langley's book has illustrations of the "Prunella" skirt, described at the time as "an exceptionally dressy and smart skirt, box-pleated all around, disclosing between the box pleats a schecked pattern that contrasts very effectively with the solid." The dirndle style with its soft gathers would also look very pretty.

You could wear them either tucked in or worn over as an overblouse or tunic style - how long is it? At, say, hip length you could wear it as an overblouse/tunic, particularly as it's translucent - these were often belted, either at the natural waist or just a bit lower.

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
In the 20s skirts were often attached to an under-bodice. The skirt might even match the top, with the under-bodice giving a bit more modesty.

I was at a huge vintage clothing auction recently where the clothing was grouped in lots. One of the lots had a beautiful 1920s orange top with plaid trim, but no skirt. I wanted it, but didn't bid very high because of the missing skirt. When I got home I found the skirt which was in another lot that I had purchased. Not only that, but the skirt had a very good label. And the auction company had no idea who bought the other lot.:mad:

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
fuzzylizzie said:
In the 20s skirts were often attached to an under-bodice. The skirt might even match the top, with the under-bodice giving a bit more modesty.

I was at a huge vintage clothing auction recently where the clothing was grouped in lots. One of the lots had a beautiful 1920s orange top with plaid trim, but no skirt. I wanted it, but didn't bid very high because of the missing skirt. When I got home I found the skirt which was in another lot that I had purchased. Not only that, but the skirt had a very good label. And the auction company had no idea who bought the other lot.:mad:

I found a great 1920's piece like this, it came from Its a Wrap in Burbank and came from Warner Bros costuming depeartment, the top part is like a slip/cami and then bottom part is like a skirt, its pretty long, maybe about four or five inches past the knee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari