Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s party

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
What ho!

Long-time lurker, but I decided this is the best place to ask for input. I'm going to a 1920s-themed summer garden party and wondered if anyone had any ideas about what to wear. I have a rack of suits of different kinds, though the oldest ones I have (from about the late ' 30s) are too heavy for swanning about in the summer. Also got a fair selection of waiscoats, bow ties, canes, hats.

What I don't have: a straw boater, co-respondent/spectator shoes, seersucker (ridiculous I know). I have some knickers/plus-fours, but they are tweed and, again, unsuitable for an August summer gathering.

Any ideas for an ensemble? Thanks for any replies.:)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Loose fitting, high waisted trousers, linen or cotton, as close to white or off white as possible. White shirt, and a tie is not necessary, but would be nice. If you have any vintage ties, of course that's preferable. And an 8 panel cap, preferably linen. Light colored driving cap is not so terrible. These are all the kind of comfortable things a man would have worn 80 years ago. DON'T be like those DESPICABLE hipsters and wear a stingy brim trilby and clip on suspenders on skinny low wasted pants. And for God's sake, don't try to simulate the plus fours look by tucking your trouser bottoms into your socks. Just wearing comfortable, stylish nice clothes should be good enough.
(BTW, I don't really hate hipsters THAT much, but it's always fun to take pot shots at them.)

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
You don't say how far away the date of your party is, but if there were time, I think I'd quickly find a suitable seeksucker on ebay and have it rush shipped, along with a boater. Since you don't have one already, you need one anyway.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I second the Seersucker suit; it's a classic that is a wardrobe staple. Personally , I would go with a optimo style Panama hat. Nothing wrong with a boater or linen cap but, post party, the optimo can be more easily worn with an everyday modern wardrobe. White bucks would fall into that classification as well.

DesertDan

One Too Many
I'm in no postion to offer period fashion advice but I will offer moral support! Sounds like a wonderful idea for a summer party theme and I hope that all goes swimmingly! Definitely post plenty of pics of the event.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24