Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1924 hershey bar wrapper

green papaya

One Too Many
1924+front.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TLNCcju9Yyw/TAmRsvorAlI/AAAAAAAABE4/vN2wru4-zDw/s1600/1924+back.JPG

they cost .05 cents for a 1 3/8 OZ bar

5 cents is expensive for a small chocolate bar in 1924

at todays prices they are still pretty cheap

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I guess they saw a kid eat one and get all hyped up from the sugar, and equated that with increased energy and nourishment.

Or it was just the usual advertising baloney.

Almost Vintage

One of the Regulars
I think it's interesting to note the difference in portion size between then and now. Of course, that's true for all food! And then they wonder why there is such a problem with obesity...

Almost Vintage

One of the Regulars
Going strictly by the picture of the comparison of the old and new, they measure the same in length and the modern is slightly wider.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, it is nourishing as far as calories, just not nutritionally nourishing. ;)

Thats not entirely true. Chocolate has a lot of nutritious qualities. You are not going to eat the bar as a meal. If compared like that then sure, its bad for you. Im sure that this 'sweet' chocolate was not like the chocolate we consume today. I wonder what its fat/sugar/milk ratio was compared to todays 'milk' chocolate.

The bar in the comparison photo is nearly 3 times as much chocolate.

LD

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy