Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930 Dinner jacket with awesome backstory

jonATL

New in Town
Allow me to tell you a story. I picked up a piece of clothing of historical significance on a recent trip to Charlottesville, and after some quick internet sleuthing, was able to fill in a lot of the garment's backstory.

John Kellogg was destined to be a well-off man from birth. He was born in upstate New York in 1876 to a second-generation linseed oil baron and grew up in a significant, but tasteful, family mansion built in the 1850s (http://www.uslister.com/listings/pro.../21562333.html).

He followed his father and grandfather into the family business, appearing through the years in the census for his hometown of Amsterdam, NY, which is located in upstate New York, just to the northwest of Albany.

Ann Peconie, executive director of the city’s museum, said when Kellog was head of the “quite regal” household, he was stand at the cupola atop the house “where it is said Mr. Kellogg watched barges come up the Mohawk delivering to him barrels of linseed to make his oil products.”

In 1930, Kellogg decided he needed a bespoke dinner jacket, so he walked down to Church Street and visited Mr. Brown, a merchant tailor who had first opened up shop in the city around 1908 over the Solvos confectionary store on East Main. He had moved to the city from Canada, where he had started his lifetime in clothes as a 13-year-old apprentice. He was to retire in 1944, nearly 15 years after opening his own shop in Amsterdam, having spent 39 years making clothes for Amsterdam residents at three different locations, but in 1930, he was likely riding high from his recent relocation to a larger space (and a move away from Railroad Street). He died in 1952 after what the Amsterdam Evening Recorder called “a long illness.”

Kellogg's jacket, made for him in September of 1930, has an incredible backstory; and for being more than 80 years old, it is in fantastic condition. Kellogg must not have worn this very often, and I don't know how it was stored, but it must have been packed away very carefully.

$_3.JPG

It fits around a 41 or 42 short with narrow shoulders. If you have any interest in adding this to your collection, let me know.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
That's a shame. Not much use for an orphaned tuxedo jacket, at least not for its intended use.

jonATL

New in Town
Now that all the craziness has been erased:

Since I don't really imagine anyone wearing this, do you guys think I should offer it up to the Amsterdam museum? They might not want it, but it's a historic piece tied to both a prominent citizen and a prominent tailor.

I'm always in favor of preservation, if an item has any significance. I think a phone call or email inquiry with the museum would be a perfect way to begin. They should know if they have the interest, space, etc. Imagine how gratified you will feel to see the little description next to the display saying, "GIFT of Mr. jonATL." My vote is to ask the museum.

jonATL

New in Town
Hey! I just got a response:

"We would love to have the dinner jacket that once belonged to a Kellogg boy heir to the linseed factory!!!!"

http://www.walterelwoodmuseum.org/

Now I just need to poke around to see if anyone wants this:

350x700px-LL-dcc76f1c_IMG_5599.jpeg

It's from a cadet's Coast Guard Academy uniform, I think.

350x700px-LL-fde00455_IMG_5600.jpeg

Don't forget to get a receipt from the museum for the tax man! That special garment must be worth THOUSANDS of dollars, right? :rolleyes:

Good for you, Jon!!

Shinobichi

Familiar Face
Hi! This is Shinobi! That's a lovely jacket!! Don't be too discouraged, you can try selling or even TRADING it to:

1 Vintage sellers online or stores where you're located , who'll buy vintage clothing from others like you.

2 Steam punk fashion companies

3 Japanese buyers / people. Why them??

A. Out of ALL the nations in this whole world they have the coolest, modern fashion sense. They are MASTERS at mixing vintage w new. Older folks AND younger. Some are too wild...but hey that's fashion! They are brave and not afraid to step out and show their fashion. True , some older ones are traditional, but the point here is you have a good selling opportunity with the Japanese. Because of this they are NOT stuck in wearing this beautiful jacket ONLY at formal settings. They could wear it everyday by mixing in with cool pieces! No, haha I'm not Japanese... though my name is, I just appreciate fashion and people who know fashion. Check out their fashion online and you'll see! They know how to mix vintage and new! In Canada,.... I'm Canadian so I can say this....most men SUCK at fashion! All they can think of is wearing a great vintage or modern piece with modern, not even fashionable, jeans!! And top it with a modern baseball cap, hahaha!!..Oops sorry for my digression haha....

B. They, like us at the Fedora Lounge, APPRECIATE TRUE VINTAGE pieces, unlike other Asian countries.

C. They will give you a good price for a true vintage piece. Hell, they'll pay good prices for an accurate reproduction piece! ( Do I sound like General Patton here?) Check out their rerpo 1930's-40s jeans online. So if you offer a reasonably good price they might just snatch it up!

The negative side on this is : the size might be a bigger problem...pardon the pun....a lot of the Japanese are smaller.

Just try them is my suggestion as a great opportunity to sell your jacket. You neve might know you might run into a bigger Japanese right?

4 I can see actors, celebs, MC people, who do these functions buy this or go to parties and formal functions like these will be interested.

5 Don't be discouraged about the missing matching pants. You'll notice in your research, that if you want a stunning 1920's-1950's FORMAL look they also wore this black jacket with a nice CREAM ( not white) formal pants.

6 Lastly, in reality , you CAN wear this everyday! This depends on: the personality /charisma / fashion of the person. It's NOT impossible. You need a strong personality who can step out of the norm PLUS the fashion know how to pull this off. That guy will be cool!

Now you'll have to do research on line and find these groups and put out your cool story ( important selling point w your jacket tag).

I hope this helps!

I would buy the jacket myself, but for now I can't use it. I love the history behind it.

Be patient and you'll sell it.

Hell..it's vintage remember? The older the time the better it gets! ( General Patton speaking here again haha)

Shinobi

jonATL

New in Town
Thanks for the thorough response. I think I'm committed to giving it to the museum, which is the right thing to do.

Japanese people would maybe love the cadet jacket because it is very, very small.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy