Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s belted back suit - light gray flannel - excellent condition!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
What a beautiful suit. I know you just bought five amazing suits, but surely they can't be better than this? Unfortunately it's a little bit too big for me otherwise I'd be all over it :(.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Awesome suit. As is always the case the pants are way too short for me. And what's more, I expect the price to go skyrocketing...
Actually, the cuffs could be let out giving you nearly three inches. Add to that the extra inch in the hem and you could get nearly four inches extra leg length. You're probably right about the price though.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
That may be so but with a suit like that I wouldn't want to make any compromise...
Personally I would see it as the tiniest of compromises for a suit as wonderful as this one. Only the fact that the shoulders are too big for me (which is expensive to alter as well as potentially irreversible) is stopping me going for it.

birkie

Familiar Face
You know, I'm starting to think this might actually fit me.

Measuring my existing suits/jackets, most have a 43" chest, though I have one jacket (which my wife really likes on me) with a 42" chest, and it doesn't feel tight. It's pre-1962, made of a lightweight "northcool" fabric that is at least part synthetic, and quarter-lined.

I am a 32" inseam, so I'm afraid I would need to take out the cuffs in order to get the extra fabric.

Was this kind of suit designed to be on the snug side of the fit continuum? As I have been generally unsuccessful in finding suits from this era, I don't have much empirical evidence.

Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:

birkie

Familiar Face
I'm the seller, and this suit fits me perfectly. I wear a size 39-40 R. I'm 5' 11.5" tall, and have a 32-33" waist.

Hmm, our heights differ by .25", and I am a 33-34 waist. For a trim, streamlined fit, a 42" chest looks like it would work. I think I'll give it a try!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Marc, could you possibly give me the "overarm" sleeve length (shoulder seam to cuff) please? I find the underarm sleeve length varies so much between suits depending on armhole height that it isn't a reliable measure to compare it to my other suits.

birkie

Familiar Face
Marc, could you possibly give me the "overarm" sleeve length (shoulder seam to cuff) please? I find the underarm sleeve length varies so much between suits depending on armhole height that it isn't a reliable measure to compare it to my other suits.

Most of mine are in the 17"-17.5" range, with a sleeve 24.5-25.5" long from the shoulder. None of them have what I would consider high armholes. I am assuming the 18.5 measurement on this one means "very high armhole", and the sleeve would be 23-24" long, but I agree that it would be good to have the precise measurement.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner