Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s belted back suit - light gray flannel - excellent condition!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well Alan - you put your bids in, but don't be surprised if this little baby soars in price. End of the day, 'how much do you want it?' 'how much wear will you get out of it?' ' And just 'how' special is a suit like this in today's world?' (I'd say, 'pretty special' and 'unique'). Good Luck.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Well Alan - you put your bids in, but don't be surprised if this little baby soars in price. End of the day, 'how much do you want it?' 'how much wear will you get out of it?' ' And just 'how' special is a suit like this in today's world?' (I'd say, 'pretty special' and 'unique'). Good Luck.
How much do I want it: lots because it's such an amazing suit.
How much wear would I get out of it: lots because I wear a suit nearly every day and could easily pair the jacket with black or navy trousers to get more wear out of it, likewise with the trousers.
How special is it: very.
Can I afford it at the price it's likely to go: probably not as I've budgeted my living expenses for next year and I don't have much left over once rent and food is paid for.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, as you're switched on with budgets, set a 'realistic' budget on this suit (8 hours to go as I pen this). Build into the equation, how you can 'off set' what you fork out by selling your lesser suits and items, and start focusing on 'a few' quality items to own and enjoy. That's why Mr Chevalier is selling this one to offset his expenditure on his newly acquired batch. I advise: Follow his lead and 'go for it.'

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnn! I had no idea it would go up that high! Marc did someone in the US buy it? Or an international bidder?

To my complete and utter shock, the winning bidder is a local Southern California guy who's into vintage -- and I know him personally. Not a Fedora Lounger, though.

I thought it would go for this amount, since the last two vintage belted back suits that were similar to mine went for $800+ and $1,000+ on the eBay open auction market.

What's going to kill you is that several weeks ago, another size 39 R belted back suit, in every way as rare and collectible as mine, went on eBay as a "Buy-It-Now" for $55. That's right: 55 bucks.

Here it is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220842500445

If he so wishes, the $55 suit's winning buyer could take some good photos and sell that suit for about $1,000 on eBay tomorrow.

Last edited:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
To my complete and utter shock, the winning bidder is a local Southern California guy who's into vintage -- and I know him personally. Not a Fedora Lounger, though.

You were expecting the suit to go all the way to Japan, right?

I thought it would go for this amount, since the last two vintage belted back suits that were similar to mine went for $800+ and $1,000+ on the eBay open auction market.

Marc, you definitely benefit from a long experience as a seller - with calmness and confidence being two of those benefits. If I were to put up an auction with a suit like that for a starting price of $19.99 I'd be scared stiff right from the start. I'd be scared that people don't have the knowledge that I have and hence won't recognize the value of it. That the right people simply don't see the auction for whatever reason. Heck, I'd even be scared that something as improbable as increased solar activity could crash the important computers in the eleventh hour... :eeek: ;)

Well, anyway. Congrats on a great sale! :eusa_clap :)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
You were expecting the suit to go all the way to Japan, right?

Thanks for the best wishes! I'm a gambler, yes, but one who tries to have all the information on his side. As for your Japan guess, I was expecting the winner to be from one of the following places (in this order): Japan, or Germany, or New Zealand, or Italy, or France, or Australia, or Great Britain, or the United States.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Y'know, the market for this kind of vintage suit is a very small but crowded pond. Bidding is competitive, and the (non "Buy-It-Now") prices tend to graze $1,000.

Something else to keep in mind: I purchased this suit several years ago at a local vintage clothing store for $75. Even if I'd sold it on eBay for as little as $150, I would have doubled my investment (or not quite, given eBay's and PayPal's fees). Therefore, I wasn't worried about my auction's low starting bid price and lack of a reserve.

Last edited:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Something else to keep in mind: I purchased this suit several years ago at a local vintage clothing store for $75. Even if I'd sold it on eBay for as little as $150, I would have doubled my investment (or not quite, given eBay's and PayPal's fees). Therefore, I wasn't worried about my auction's low starting bid price and lack of a reserve.
That's even more impressive. Have you ever considered making a living out of vintage clothing investments if you live in an area where such nice clothing can be found so cheaply?

I have to say I was genuinely surprised by that ending price. I expected something like $500, not $1000+. But then the British vintage clothing market seems to be a lot quieter and less impressive than the American one, plus I lack experience with rare vintage items.

Last edited:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Marc, is there any chance you could upload the pictures of that suit into one of your "Holy Grail" threads? I've tried to copy all the pictures onto my computer but they must be in a strange format as I can't copy and paste them.

I hope you don't mind me stealing the pictures but I wanted them in case I ever get a tailor to make me a similar suit in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum