Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"1930s Democrat hair cut"

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
In the early 1970s, former US President Lyndon Johnson let his hair grow long:
lbj_long_hair1.png

In an interview with his barber at the time, his barber said: "We've been letting it grow out slowly over a period of months."

"Grant [Johnson's barber] said the new look is influenced to some extent by Johnson's recollections of some politicians of the 1920s and 1930s, particular to what Grant called the "Democrats haircut" of the 1930s."

Without getting overly political, I am curious as to what Democratic politicians from the 20s and 30s sported near shoulder length hair in a time when hair was generally cropped short back and sides?

Burma Schave

One of the Regulars
Senator Robert M. LaFollette had longish hair, and he won 17% of the popular vote in the 1924 presidential election. Can't say he was ever a Democrat, though.

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Looking at the photo I have to wonder if he was letting his earlobes grow long as well?!!!

To go with the length in the back? :)

I think he's always had big earlobes.

latest

As for the 1920s and '30s "Democrat haircut," I have no idea about which Democrat politicians would have had hair that long in the back. I have almost no doubt that a few Democrats, or Republicans for that matter, had longer hair (with or without longer sideburns as well), worn more in line with earlier 19th century styles. I think it was accepted and normal to have relatively long hair in the 19th century (especially the first half of the century), up until around the 1880s when shorter tapered haircuts like those of the early half of the 20th century became the norm. By around that time, facial hair was also getting smaller, going down from beards to mustaches in many cases, or clean-shaven, and long sideburns had become unfashionable.

F. J.

One of the Regulars
Long-haired Democrats . . .

[...] As for the 1920s and '30s "Democrat haircut," I have no idea about which Democrat politicians would have had hair that long in the back. I have almost no doubt that a few Democrats, or Republicans for that matter, had longer hair (with or without longer sideburns as well), worn more in line with earlier 19th century styles. I think it was accepted and normal to have relatively long hair in the 19th century (especially the first half of the century), up until around the 1880s when shorter tapered haircuts like those of the early half of the 20th century became the norm. By around that time, facial hair was also getting smaller, going down from beards to mustaches in many cases, or clean-shaven, and long sideburns had become unfashionable.

Precisely.

Here are some long-haired nineteenth-century Democrats:

James Knox Polk, eleventh President of the United States, 1845-49.
Polkpolk.jpg

John Caldwell Calhoun, seventh Vice-President of the United States, 1825-32;
also Secretary of War (1817-25), Secretary of State (1844-45), U. S. Senator (1845-50), and U. S. Congressman (1811-17).
JCCalhoun.jpg

Andrew Johnson, seventeenth President of the United States, 1865-69.
Andrew_Johnson.jpg

I recall the late-in-life LBJ referring to his longish locks as his "Buffalo Bill" look.

He died fairly young -- 64, I believe. Had health problems going way back. Had his first heart attack in 1955, when he was still in his 40s. I'd heard reports that post-presidency he determined that he would eat what he wished, smoke cigarettes, etc.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I recall the late-in-life LBJ referring to his longish locks as his "Buffalo Bill" look.

He died fairly young -- 64, I believe. Had health problems going way back. Had his first heart attack in 1955, when he was still in his 40s. I'd heard reports that post-presidency he determined that he would eat what he wished, smoke cigarettes, etc.

Now that you mentioned it, I remember the same thing about the Buffalo Bill look.

For a 1920s longer haired look, there was also this fellow:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...its&p=1690040&highlight=long+hair#post1690040

tumblr_m65gmp1iPg1qe8fuqo1_r1_1280_zps9f62dcd9.png

tumblr_lz3sy3iPdI1qbrh53o1_500_zps744860d5.png

He's Gilbert Roland. I don't know if he had his hair like that because he wanted to, or if it was for a film role.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy