Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s fancy back jackets with side vents

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Most sport suits from the golden era seem to have one or no vent. Of course side vents existed (for riding and sports) but only recently I came across two pictures with beltbacks (and a full belt) AND side vents. I guess this is rare since I have never seen this features together before. I would have suspected it to be a "wrong"/ 70s thing.

La mode francaise officielle (plus some accents) 1939
0q40.jpg

A picture from 1935 taken from the book "Fashion at the Time of Fascism" by Mario Lupano, Alessandra Vaccari
qcj2.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Great photos FFF from France and Italy no less. Fantastic.

A 1937 German chart posted some time ago also shows double vents with sportsback. Bottom right one.

Foto-0157.jpg

I think La Mode Française had those vents right back into the 20s. Let me check my copies.

Obviously British beltbacks are vanishingly rare, so I'm not sure about those. Hacking jackets always had side vents though. The difference here is the length of the vent. Much longer in 60s/70s stuff.

The one beltback (American, 30s) I have with vent has a single vent, but very long indeed. It opens from the hem clear up to the belt.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
In 1934 German tailoring publications derided American "novelty" fashions for adding two vents to jackets (plain back without belt)... ;)

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fastuni.. OOoh I have completely forgotten about that picture. Of course you are right. Thanks.

BK: On the italian / french pictures the vents appear to be quite long. (Compared to usual 30s jackets ..the 20s were something else entirely)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner