Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930's French-Canadian Barnstormer w. Shearling

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
Somebody posted this the other day. I prefer them in mustard tones, myself. I'm not entirely sure how they can be entirely sure of the date on it.

Also, I'm not sure of the etymology of Canadienne in this context, but I'm not entirely sure that the country of Canada has anything to do with it. This is an almost exclusively French garment.

They are awesome things. The heavy cotton duck is so incredibly wind resistant, and with a good woolen or fleece lining these are the perfect winter coat. Warning: they are shapeless. They are extremely inelegant. But so warm!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
BK: you questioned any link to Canada for the stylings of these coats. I found this link to a Canadian catalogue from 1920: http://archive.org/stream/eatons19202100eatouoft#page/n265/mode/2up
The coats on page 255 of the catalogue (page 266 on the scans) are very similar. They cross over at the front to keep out the cold, have the same shape collar, and the skeepskin lining goes down to waist level (as in the French version). The main difference is that the original Canadian versions appear to have metal clasps rather than buttons.

Not any link, but any specifically Canadian link. You also see similar jackets in American catalogues (Sears, etc.). They are rather rare in this form from North America, but are literally EVERYWHERE in France. They still make them, too. The oldest french ones I've seen, btw, are not sheepskin lined, but rather are lined with heavy woollens.

It's only the French that call them Canadiennes, and I'm guessing there must be a link, but I don't know it for sure, and I don't know how to find out the etymology.

bk

btw jebus christy! What a price they got for the one that started this thread. Buy a ticket to Paris and buy an equally old one for €80!!

D

Deleted member 16736

Do you have a link to a modern canadienne? I'd be interested in a new one.

D

Deleted member 16736

Ask and ye shall receive. I would buy this if I spoke French. Do they have international service for English speakers? Thanks, Baron.

D

Deleted member 16736

It appears to be made from the original 1949 pattern. According to Google Translate anyway.

D

Deleted member 16736

I can't speak French so I'm at a total loss, but it looks nice. I like the fit, too.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Ask and ye shall receive. I would buy this if I spoke French. Do they have international service for English speakers? Thanks, Baron.

I do speak french, not sure if this will help, but the main block of text on that page is roughly along the lines of "We like: this historic model "la Canadienne", which we opened our first store with in 1949, which recalls the traditional wear of aviators and sailors in the early century. The coat is waterproof and warm and made from genuine sheepskin (lining and the collar). A timeless classic part of our collection."

D

Deleted member 16736

Thanks, Cairo. Google Translate beat you to the punch. Thank you very much. I noticed this jacket has velcro on the inside pockets, which makes me want to put my wallet back in my pocket, but it's tempting.

D

Deleted member 16736

Do they sell to overseas buyers and do you see a contact email?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot