Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s Israel

Story

I'll Lock Up
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3504531,00.html

My Land of Israel: A trip to the 1930s
Rivkah Zelner from the US used to visit her sister who immigrated to Israel and was one of the founders of Kibbutz Ein Hashofet. Rivkah enjoyed touring the country and even documented her journeys with her camera

09_Zelner_006_ot.jpg

Purim in Tel Aviv, 1934

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Politically, it was the British Mandate of Palestine from 1917 (granted by the League of Nations) until 1948 but the Land of Israel as a geographical location (rather than a political entity) has existed for thousands of years and has a special place in the hearts and minds of Jews everywhere.

A Jewish person visiting Jerusalem in the 1930s would no doubt think of it as being in Eretz Israel - the Land of Israel.

Alan

merkman

Familiar Face
Such a peacefull time, too bad they can't figure out a way to get along with everyone now. Could be such a nice place and the world would'nt have so much hate and discontent. Why ,oh why, can't humans look at other cultures as just other humans on this little planet. Has anyone been watching "the universe" on the history channel? Certainly makes us "humans" look foolish when you see how fragile our little world is..................:(

Story

I'll Lock Up
merkman said:
Such a peacefull time, too bad they can't figure out a way to get along with everyone now. Could be such a nice place and the world would'nt have so much hate and discontent.

You ever hear the phrase "Plus ?ßa change, plus c'est la m?™me chose"?

The Road to Rebellion Arab Palestine in the 1930's
W. F. Abboushi
Journal of Palestine Studies, Vol. 6, No. 3 (Spring, 1977), pp. 23-46
This article consists of 24 page(s).

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0377-919X(197721)6:3<23:TRTRAP>2.0.CO;2-G

Story

I'll Lock Up
merkman said:
Mankind, something to be proud of !

Why vacilate from one extreme view to another?

One should recognize that both Good and Evil are part and parcel of the human species.

Some folks just don't make good neighbors, others will help you build the next Marvel of the civilized world. It's always been that way and always will be.

merkman

Familiar Face
Story said:
Why vacilate from one extreme view to another?

One should recognize that both Good and Evil are part and parcel of the human species.

Some folks just don't make good neighbors, others will help you build the next Marvel of the civilized world. It's always been that way and always will be.

Too bad.........guess I'm too much of an idealist.
In the words of Rodney King, "can't we all just get along?"
I do belive that good far excedes the evil in the world though, and if we could manage to respect all other cultures in the world and see to it that they all have the same opportunity to live without hardship that there would be far less violence and hate.

Haversack

One Too Many
Today we think that the Old Testament/Code of Hammurabi/et.al. laws that require "An eye for an eye. A tooth for a tooth." to be horribly Draconian and severe. Looked at in the context of the history of the Middle East, they are not. They are really designed to limit violence and prevent it from escalating. A need that existed then and continues today.

Haversack.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I get the time, would you like me to add the Victorian Stereoviews I have of Israel than called Palestine to this thread? Assume I will need a few weeks to find them.

Just gauging if there is interest.

Vintage Betty

Corto

A-List Customer
Vintage Betty said:
If I get the time, would you like me to add the Victorian Stereoviews I have of Israel than called Palestine to this thread? Assume I will need a few weeks to find them.

Just gauging if there is interest.

Vintage Betty

Absolutely interested!
Thanks!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Corto said:
Absolutely interested!
Thanks!

Ok, I know where they are located, but the soonest I can look for them is next weekend. Big project(s) at work this week. Other things also? I have vintage maps, books, magazines etc etc. My stuff for that region starts in the 1800's and goes through 1950's or so. Not sure how much stuff I have, I just have "stuff".

If you can be specific as to what you enjoy viewing, I can than spend my time pulling the bits of my collection that will be most interesting to you.

Please advise also if you are most interested in the geography, religious or history aspect, so I can choose wisely. Religious items include Civil War, WW1 and WW2 items from America, not the Middle East, so that might not even be appropriate for this thread or forum.

Vintage Betty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic