Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s Playsuit Skirt

queen of jacque

New in Town
Hello Ladies!

I have been eyeing J. Peterman's 1930s Playsuit Skirt
for some time.
It's not in their current online catalog, but the Primrose Street Trading Co has it in their eBay store:
-No live eBay auctions allowed-
Has anybody seen this in person? Seen anything like it? I'm thinking of getting this little get-up sometime, but as mom taught, I shouldn't buy anything that doesn't have an otherwise complete outfit waiting for it at home.

Thanks for your help!
Jacqueline

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Really cute! If you get it, I'd wear it with a creame colored button up blouse. That's what they would have done.

It's actually not totally true to period. In the 30's a play suit like this would have most likely been an all-in-one shorts and shirt, like a romper, then it would have had a matching over skirt you could unbutton. The purpose was to have a skirt so that you could cover up on the way to and from the beach and pool, or whatever then you could take it off for sun lounging.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Lauren said:
Really cute! If you get it, I'd wear it with a creame colored button up blouse. That's what they would have done.

It's actually not totally true to period. In the 30's a play suit like this would have most likely been an all-in-one shorts and shirt, like a romper, then it would have had a matching over skirt you could unbutton. The purpose was to have a skirt so that you could cover up on the way to and from the beach and pool, or whatever then you could take it off for sun lounging.

Continuing on this... would it be appropriate to wear (with skirt) on the street -- for say shopping -- after the beach? Or is/was it more appropriate to go home and change into more of an accepted public outfit? Less casual attire?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I always thought play suits were for their intended purpose. Like must of the wardrobe of the time. Specific outfits had specific reasons.

Advance_2407.jpg

Here is one I found online.

I think the one with the longer skirt (no midriff showing) could work. But I bet the gal would have felt it was inappropriate :)

LD

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Lady Day. I was thinking the same thing. Of course, I am sure a vintage or retro playsuit with skirt would still be concidered fancy dress by today's standards.

I suppose that the design and fabric choice of the playsuit would come in mind as well. If the completed playsuit with skirt still looked like playwear, it would be out, but if a completed playsuit with skirt looked more like a shirt dress of finer material, I bet it would be in... as it would be had it been a regular shirt dress.

[Anyone] Opinions?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh!
By the pattern alone, I just looked at her shoes lol
Shes wearing heels with the dress, and saddies with the playsuit.

Youre gonna sweat or 'glow' in a playsuit Id think, so I see them out of cotton, or a light wool. Maybe rayon?

LD

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
Oh!
By the pattern alone, I just looked at her shoes lol
Shes wearing heels with the dress, and saddies with the playsuit.

Youre gonna sweat or 'glow' in a playsuit Id think, so I see them out of cotton, or a light wool. Maybe rayon?

LD

Hahahaha Smart! Instead of changing your clothes... just change your shoes! :eusa_clap I like that. I think I am going to have to pay closer attention to that detail next time. :)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Yep, smart thinkin' Lady Day! It's all in the shoes...lol! I have a vintage pink gingham set that I can't wait to wear this summer. Still on the casual side fabric wise I'd say. But slip on a white sweater and hey~ I'm in business.
Just found this, wow.. looks almost exactly like mine! I wonder if they used this pattern!
10011.GIF

different shoes~
108826720_o.jpg

Candied violets

New in Town
Re: the J. Peterman's 1930s Playsuit Skirt

I had this piece for a time but I didn't get much wear out of it. The skirt didn't button up. It was always open showing the shorts and they were short shorts. I felt pretty uncomfortable wearing it let me tell you, and it looked so cute in the catalogue...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran