Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s sweater rules

Rottweiler

New in Town
Ahoy gents,

One of the obvious differences between the sartorial rules for sweaters in the 1930s and more recent times is that you often see them tucked into the pants. I've only seen photos of this being done with pullovers.

A cardigan wouldn't be tucked. It would be treated exactly like a waistcoat, just a more casual type. If sleeveless, you even see it called "a knit waistcoat." Were pullovers thought of the same way? I wonder, because if you're wearing braces, they have to go over any top tucked into the pants, and braces were considered part of a man's underwear back when his shirt was seen as such. Which leads me to wonder a few things.

1) Was a pullover something a gentleman would wear under a waistcoat for warmth?
2) Was tucking the older way to wear it, or an innovation?
3) Was running around in just your trousers and a pullover over shirt and tie seen as rakishly casual when it became the college style?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Irving Thalberg, always sartorially impeccable, agreed with you.
3882622385_aa888fc2bc.jpg

With Norma Shearer, by Steichen 1932

Folding the hem also works for those of us who aren't the right shape to tuck it into the waist. (Irving didn't have that problem.)

S_M_Cumberworth

One of the Regulars
I've been watching the way sweaters were worn in the 30s, 40s, etc., and while it looks like they were tucked in, I believe they were worn with the bottom/hem placed at the pant waist covering the belt, with a little "fold over".

I've seen it both ways — tucked and folded up. I have a sweater that has an extra long waistband and extra long sleeve cuff, both meant to be folded up. The only probably is that it becomes almost too short: it falls just below my natural waist, and the belt loops of most of the pants I have peek out beneath it.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
I've been watching the way sweaters were worn in the 30s, 40s, etc., and while it looks like they were tucked in, I believe they were worn with the bottom/hem placed at the pant waist covering the belt, with a little "fold over".

That's what I was going to say. I don't recall ever seeing a sweater tucked in. sounds tacky to me.

ssfilez

New in Town
I don't think sweaters should ever be tucked in. It just keeps me wondering why they every thought of wearing their cardigans that way. And, I am fervently hoping that this will not be a fashion trend this year since the vintage look begins to creep its way into our closets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy