Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1930s WIDE BRIM TWEED FLAT CAP (for sale)

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I'm reluctantly selling the tweed 1930s cap photoed on page 2 of this thread (and much admired by BK....).

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=15227

It is on ebay at the moment, along with various other bits of vintage

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZzippgunnQQhtZ-1

As discussed in the thread, these wide brim pre-war caps are extremely rare, especially in human sizes.

DSCN4840.jpg

nightandthecity

Practically Family
yes, US 7 1/4 or UK 7 1/8.....or Euro 58 (much as I hate metric, using Euro sizing does save confusion)

If you keep growing your hair it might even fit eventually! (I saw the Carnaby Street picture......)

These wide brim hats are rare enough anyway, but pure RHS in that size. I'm just hoping not too many ebayers are away on holiday. Nothing worse than getting peanuts for an item you don't really want to sell.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
nightandthecity said:
yes, US 7 1/4 or UK 7 1/8.....or Euro 58 (much as I hate metric, using Euro sizing does save confusion)

If you keep growing your hair it might even fit eventually! (I saw the Carnaby Street picture......)

These wide brim hats are rare enough anyway, but pure RHS in that size. I'm just hoping not too many ebayers are away on holiday. Nothing worse than getting peanuts for an item you don't really want to sell.

I suppose that could be stretched up to 7 3/8 UK ?

nightandthecity

Practically Family
cookie said:
I suppose that could be stretched up to 7 3/8 UK ?

that's two sizes, to a Euro 60/US 7 1/2.

Possibly. I think the tweed might stretch that far, and the leather sweatband is very soft (and can always be removed and refitted or perhaps just partially unpicked). You've put me on the spot really, I mean I couldn't guarantee it, but if it was me I'd probably risk it. I have successfully stretched berets (and the black cap in the Flat cap thread) by three notches....though they were wool felt, which is probably more malleable than tweed.

One size up should be easy enough though, its got to be easier than a fur felt fedora and I've never met one of the latter that wouldn't go up a notch..
...(opening can of worms....)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
nightandthecity said:
that's two sizes, to a Euro 60/US 7 1/2.

Possibly. I think the tweed might stretch that far, and the leather sweatband is very soft (and can always be removed and refitted or perhaps just partially unpicked). You've put me on the spot really, I mean I couldn't guarantee it, but if it was me I'd probably risk it. I have successfully stretched berets (and the black cap in the Flat cap thread) by three notches....though they were wool felt, which is probably more malleable than tweed.

One size up should be easy enough though, its got to be easier than a fur felt fedora and I've never met one of the latter that wouldn't go up a notch..
...(opening can of worms....)

Euro 60 is 7 3/8 UK isn't it?

nightandthecity

Practically Family
well it makes a nice change from giving stuff away...which is what I seem to be doing most of the time on ebay!

I expected it to make about £30-50, but I knew it could make around £100 (double the figures for rough dollar equivalent) so I wasn't surprised, just pleased!

As we've discussed in other threads, these extra-wide pre-war caps are very hard to find, especially in modern adult sizes. The guy who bought it is a serious vintage collector who knew exactly what he was doing, so it has gone to a good home.

Yes the only one i've seen recently in Britain was in my size so i snapped it up. This one made by EW Kibbin distinctive headwear.

et la*:

PaddyPeterinKelso001.jpg

NATC, what was the quality of workmanship on that Falcon hat? I have my beady little eye on a Falcon trilby, but if they're crappy quality i'll give it a miss.

bk

*pic credit to Paddy

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
NATC, what was the quality of workmanship on that Falcon hat? I have my beady little eye on a Falcon trilby, but if they're crappy quality i'll give it a miss.

bk

[/SIZE]

BK,

Let me know if you are serious about it. I don't want us to bid against one another.

Alan

nightandthecity

Practically Family
The quality was what you would expect for a 1930s cap made for the mass market - excellent, though not exceptional.

Falcon is probably the commonest brand I have seen in pre-war caps, though we are talking a small statistical sample here! I’ve never seen a Falcon trilby, and I think of them as a cap firm.

I’ve never been able to find out much about the company, when they were founded or how long they lasted. I don’t think they exist any more. If I remember rightly there is a Falcon workwear co. that makes some hats, and a US Falcon hat co., but neither obviously connected to our Falcon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner