Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1936 Three Piece Double Breasted Suit on UK Ebay - from 'the 50 Shilling Tailors'

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
This is wonderful. Rather small (36 to 38 chest) but appears to be in great condition:

1936suit.jpg

The vendor even posted a pic of the suit when it was new:
1936suit2.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Vint...UK_Men_s_Vintage_Clothing&hash=item3f185ccefd

In the listing, the vendor put the old wedding pic as the main photo! The original receipt even comes with the suit!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I've just re-read the advertisement it syas "worn once by my father". If this suit truly was worn just once in 1936, then it's going to be a fantastic bargain for whoever snaps it up.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i contacted this seller to check a few details as the listing is so bad and you can't see any details of the trousers. anyway, turns out the trousers have some sort of discolouration half way down one leg (and a touch on the other) which is probably a water mark from damp. and the suit is more of a stone colour rather than the blue-grey it appears in the bad photos. why does the seller not mention the staining ? well, in this case, i think it's because they are inexperienced (1 feedback) and not used to selling vintage clothes.

this is quite sad actually... they emailed me an additional photo of the trouser mark and the trousers were being held by the seller's mother; the wife of the late owner of the suit.

photo.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That photo has actually brought a lump to my throat...
That must be so 'sad' for her to be holding those garments and the memories they must bring back to her of love and youth and what she has lost.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know what you mean. When I interviewed some elderly people I often had a similar feeling.
The winning bidder could write her a letter with a picture of this suit worn by him... additional to the feedback on ebay. I think it could mean something to her.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
if the suit really had been immaculate my plan was to buy it and sell it on if it didn't work for me. with the water-mark i don't think i'll risk it. those things can be very difficult to remove once dried in.
this sad tale would have a happy ending though if the suit could be appreciated once more !

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
TT, the seller (a lady) knows so little about vintage clothing that i think it would be a drawn-out affair, and i'm not really comfortable asking. i've advised her to try and have the trousers professionally cleaned, then if the stains come out, re-photograph and re-list it. i very much doubt that will happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW