Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1937 Stingy Brim

Feraud

Bartender
Those are not actual stingies. During hard times men have been known to trim slivers from their fedoras and eat them. Those 2 7/8th inch brims eventually worked their way down to 2". The term "Mad as a hatter" refers to men who suffered mercury poisoning due to ingesting mercury felted material.

Just kidding. ;)

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
During hard times men have been known to trim slivers from their fedoras and eat them. Those 2 7/8th inch brims eventually worked their way down to 2".
...know the feeling...lol

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Slim Portly said:
Is that Paddy on the right?

I think it is!

First we found Baron Kurtz in New York in the 1930s, now Paddy in California during the same time period! I knew those guys were time travelers, otherwise where would they get their cool clothing?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
This is Modesto, California, George Lucas' hometown and where he set his classic American Graffiti - meant to portray one night in 1962, just a quarter century after this shot...and yet a world away.
american-graffiti-mels-drive-in.jpg

The real Mel's, part of a small chain, was in San Francisco.

filfoster

One Too Many
Mercury Theater

Feraud said:
Those are not actual stingies. During hard times men have been known to trim slivers from their fedoras and eat them. Those 2 7/8th inch brims eventually worked their way down to 2". The term "Mad as a hatter" refers to men who suffered mercury poisoning due to ingesting mercury felted material.

Just kidding. ;)

That would also explain my hair loss

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Silke said:
Nice photo to grab some inspiration from, thanks for the link.

It is a cool link. I explored it further and looked at a great many photographs. Quite enjoyable. Thanks -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay