• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

1937 Wedding Suit in vintage store today

Discussion in 'Suits' started by BTJepson, Apr 20, 2012.

1. BTJepson

BTJepson New in Town

I was doing some vintage suit shopping in one of my favorite stores today here in Austin and came across a beautiful 1937 suit worn by a man on his wedding day. The owner of the shop told me that his son had donated the suit, and there was a note inside the pocket describing that 'Elmo wore this suit on his wedding day, 1937, Uvalde, Texas.' It was in pretty good shape, with only a bit of fraying on the belt loops and one pant leg hem let out. If it hadn't been about a 36-38R, I would have bought it (I wear a 40-42R.) As a bonus, there was a very old, very thin handkerchief in the pocket, most likely used to dab at sweat on Elmo's brow as he took his bride that day. It gets hot down in Uvalde and this suit was a very lightweight material and light in color. It's still for sale and $79 will buy it. Here's some photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. thunderw21

thunderw21 My Mail is Forwarded Here

:eeek:

Holy crap, do yourself a favor: get back down there and buy it. It may not fit but you could make a decent amount from selling it.

Great suit, btw. The fabric is amazing and the buttons really set it off.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  3. Yes, please buy it for me. You can't receive private messages yet (I think you need 15 posts), but I would really, really love to have this suit. oh god, how much would I wear this suit! I can also throw in some freebies from my stock of 30s/40s stuff to sell, should you be interested (assuming, of course, I have anything you like).

cheers,

bk

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  4. BTJepson

BTJepson New in Town

Well, then...I'll go down and buy it tomorrow, as long as it hasn't been snatched up! I'll try to post a bit more in order to receive PM's. If one of my fellow FL'ers (I'm looking at you Baron) would like to then buy it, we can work out a mutually beneficial deal. I'm not looking to cash in, just share a love of fine vintage haberdashery.

5. BTJepson

BTJepson New in Town

Until I can get PM's, just respond here. There! 15 posts.

6. Great! Your PM privileges should be active soon. I can't remember, but they may have to be activated by an administrator.[edit] Ah, I see PMs are up and running[/edit]

I will certainly buy it from you - dependent of course upon the size/measurements of the suit. If it's not my size (36ish), you will have NO trouble selling it to someone else here, let me tell you! It's a stunner! put me first on the list

cheers,

bk

7. Rudie

Rudie Call Me a Cab

Congrats. Great suit. I don't know how you do that, bk, but those wonderful suits search YOU out not the other way round.

8. Hmm, yeah, let's see if the suit's still in the store before we start counting chickens!

bk

9. SteveAS

SteveAS Practically Family

Wow, great suit and very nice of you to pick it up for the Baron. If it turns out to be too big for him, I'm about a 38R . . . :whistling

10. BTJepson

BTJepson New in Town

I'm off to the store in about 45 minutes. I'll let y'all know. More photos to come, as well.

11. [video=youtube;_MIgiX7WJQc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MIgiX7WJQc[/video]

12. someone else from Texas might have seen this thread and sniped it ! :eeek:

13. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

don't worry. it's not a nudie suit.

14. Mr. 37R belt-back fanatic from Texas is going to be kicking himself when he finds this thread.

15. BTJepson

BTJepson New in Town

I have the suit! $73 + tax came out to $79 and some change. I've taken a lot of photos and will upload them after I get back from an outing with my 19 month old son. I promise, no drool or peanut butter will get near the suit!

16. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
    BK is one lucky guy. And BTJepson are extremely nice to share your find without making any profit.:eusa_clap
    That's enough to restore the faith in humanity and the fedora lounge :D

17. I love the Fedora Lounge! A world wide conspiracy to get all the best old suits FOR OURSELVES!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

18. sproily

sproily Practically Family

Damn. That is one beautiful suit, I would have bought that in an instant.

19. BTJepson

BTJepson New in Town

It is truly my pleasure to share this love that we all have for the beautiful styles of the past. It's an exclusive club, and one I'm proud to be a part of. Here are the photos I took after bringing the suit home:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of two moth holes I found (see above)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The old silk(?) handkerchief I found in the pocket and the note from the son about the origin of the suit. Elmo Bohman, married July 4, 1937, Uvalde, Texas in this suit which cost $15 at the time.

[​IMG]

The other small moth hole (photo above)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Previous owner's name written (and spelling corrected by same) inside pants.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The fraying around the belt loops.

So, once we figure out the shipping cost, I can wrap it up and send it on its way. What would a package for this suit weigh, do you think? 5-7lbs?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  20. :eusa_clap Well done, chaps! Glad to see it's going to a good home.

And Baron, if you'd like it cleaned, you know where to send it!