Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1938 Production Of War of The Worlds

kpreed

One of the Regulars
I will listen to this radio play, just like I do every year, but this year it will be on the Sunday Night, the 30th (just like in 1938), on the show's 73rd Anniversary this year it will be played over my 1938 Grunow, via my AMT3000 wired to my computer. Anyone else do this kind of W.O.T.W. thing at this time of year?
Grunow621.jpg

Espee

Practically Family
Reminds me of Steve Allen's story-- he and his mother were living in a hotel at that time. His mother and aunt were in their room, frightened by the broadcast, but Steve went to the lobby and found people listening to something else. (Maybe Bergen & McCarthy?)
He said he figured if Martians were really attacking, CBS wouldn't have an exclusive on it.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Gosh. I remember the first time I listened to Welles' War of the Worlds.

Damn it. That radio-drama scared the hell out of me! I know that might be silly to say of something that's nearly 80 years old, but it did genuinely get to me and it I found it really scary and provocative.

I think that is a hallmark of good horror. That it still has the ability to scare, decades after it's been produced.

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
Every year we set up at the end of the 150-foot driveway to await trick or treaters with the show being broadcast on this repro vintage radio since the sound is better than my originals. The original WOTW is on the DVD of the 1953 movie as an extra, and I just connect it from the portable player audio jack to the speaker.
reproradio.jpg

Halloweensetup.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy