Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1938 RCA Victor Am and Shortwave radio

russa11

One of the Regulars
Thought I would show you one of my vintage radios and a advertisement for it:

rcavictor2.jpg

rcavictor.jpg

here is the ad:

radioad.jpg

K

kpreed

Welcome!

Enjoy the Lounge.
Great looking radio! I love radios and I have a few pre-WWII ones too.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
What a beautiful radio.

I wonder who the cabinet was designed by? Its compact and has very nice features and you can see elements of where the design trend was about to go in the 1940s.

Interesting advertisment too; Do you have the electric tuner for the radio as well?
I do my best to hunt down old ads for my radios. I find it adds so much to any vintage or antique item when you have that kind of information along with it.

russa11

One of the Regulars
RetroToday said:
What a beautiful radio.

I wonder who the cabinet was designed by? Its compact and has very nice features and you can see elements of where the design trend was about to go in the 1940s.

Interesting advertisment too; Do you have the electric tuner for the radio as well?
I do my best to hunt down old ads for my radios. I find it adds so much to any vintage or antique item when you have that kind of information along with it.

This does have a tuning eye on it on the left side.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
russa11 said:
This does have a tuning eye on it on the left side.

Oh, that's what they mean by "electric tuning" in the ad?
I thought they were referring to some kind of separate remote control unit (that may be the thing the guy's tuning at the top of ad.)

Sorry, it's difficult to read the lettering on the advertisement.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
RetroToday said:
I wonder who the cabinet was designed by?
Quite a few RCA sets of the 30s were the designs of John Vassos, a Greek-born industrial designer and illustrator. Among his work for the company was the Victor Special all-aluminum portable Victrola, and from 1939, their first commercially available TV sets.

BTW russa11, I see your set came from my neck of the woods.
The pushbutton labels read, L-R:
WEAF WOR WJZ WNYC WABC WHN

russa11

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
Quite a few RCA sets of the 30s were the designs of John Vassos, a Greek-born industrial designer and illustrator. Among his work for the company was the Victor Special all-aluminum portable Victrola, and from 1939, their first commercially available TV sets.

BTW russa11, I see your set came from my neck of the woods.
The pushbutton labels read, L-R:
WEAF WOR WJZ WNYC WABC WHN

Wow you have really been eating your carrots or have a good zoom feature on your pc. Yes. It seems in it's former life it was in the New York area. I actually got this in New Hampshire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy