Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1939 Dated British Fedora US 7 1/4, UK 7 1/8, 59 cm

A spectacular and rare British fedora from 1939 (date label under sweatband). It was made by Glyn of Old Bond Street, London, and sold by the famous Berteil of Paris. The felt is spectacular, soft and pliable. The colour is light grey with black 1.5" ribbon.

It could do with some steaming etc. to sort out some storage dents. There is one small water spot in the crease area that is very faint indeed. A naphtha bash should sort it out. One small spot of mothing right next to the sweatband reed at the side. Hidden by the sweatband & do not go through felt.

Crown 5" open
Brim 2 1/8"
Circumference comes out around 58cm
Front to back inside 7 7/8"
Side to side inside 6 1/2"

£100 with shipping extra for the hat. PM please with interest.

glynberteilfedora1.jpg

glynberteilfedora2.jpg

glynberteilfedora3.jpg

glynberteilfedora4.jpg

glynberteilfedora5.jpg

glynberteilfedora6.jpg

glynberteilfedora7.jpg

glynberteilfedora8.jpg

glynberteilfedora9.jpg

Huertecilla

Banned
That should give me a good yardstick for felt quality ;)

... it ís my size ánd it is already in Europe, but seems bit too smart for me; I will have to ask a lady with more refined taste :eek:

p.s. She lóved the hat and for me too :eusa_clap

Last edited:

Huertecilla

Banned
The premises

The front elevation of Glyn and Company's premises at 44 Old Bond Street. Glyn and Company are described as 'manufacturing hatters' in the 1908 Post Office Directory. Their premises in Old Bond Street was built in 1906 to the designs of E A Hune.

Photo taken 1908:

BL20352A.jpg

BL20352.jpg

Last edited:
Hat is sold gents, thanks for the interest.

The frontage of 44 Old Bond Street looks the same, according to google maps, though the signs are all gone. Looks to be a hotel now.

The front elevation of Glyn and Company's premises at 44 Old Bond Street. Glyn and Company are described as 'manufacturing hatters' in the 1908 Post Office Directory. Their premises in Old Bond Street was built in 1906 to the designs of E A Hune.

Photo taken 1908:

BL20352A.jpg

BL20352.jpg

Huertecilla

Banned
Now this below is very cool. London's covered i those things, of course, but nice to find the meaning for one …

For me it is a cool bit of added value to the hat too; that the place of birth is known and existing in style. I perceive that kind of thing as very real part of a product even though it obviously does nót affect the tangible part one jota.

Next is to have it reblocked and thén make a portrait of it sitting on its new home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24