Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1939 Guide to Being a Lady in Manhattan

HepKitty

One Too Many
the photos are gorgeous. I think it could go in the Observation Bar as well, I'm sure the gentlemen would appreciate it

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Thanks for sharing!

Is it just me or does Patricia Prochnik look a little like Drew Barrymore?
article-2010921-0CDB0EE500000578-130_964x795.jpg

Marla

A-List Customer
"If you can make it in Manhattan, you can make it anywhere."

If you've made it in Manhattan, where else is there to make it?

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
"PROPER BEHAVIOUR

According to the 1939 book New York: Behind the Scenes, a young lady should:

Not talk to strangers

Not enter parks at night

Avoid confrontation on subways

Forget becoming an actor or model

Return home as soon as possible"

-----------------------------

Sounds like good advice to me. ;)

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One thing I'm surprised not to see mentioned is that there were several fine, affordable hotels in New York for women only -- intended specifically for single gals in the city on business, or those who had just arrived and were looking for a safe place to live while they got settled. The Martha Washington, on East 30th Street, was the most famous of these -- in 1939 the rooms were around $3.50 a night, which would have been very helpful for the young lady on a budget. And no worries about sleazy operators trying to put the moves on over dinner.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
The Martha Washington, on East 30th Street, was the most famous of these -- in 1939 the rooms were around $3.50 a night, which would have been very helpful for the young lady on a budget. And no worries about sleazy operators trying to put the moves on over dinner.

And no gentleman allowed upstairs after 6.00pm!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
One thing I'm surprised not to see mentioned is that there were several fine, affordable hotels in New York for women only -- intended specifically for single gals in the city on business, or those who had just arrived and were looking for a safe place to live while they got settled. The Martha Washington, on East 30th Street, was the most famous of these -- in 1939 the rooms were around $3.50 a night, which would have been very helpful for the young lady on a budget. And no worries about sleazy operators trying to put the moves on over dinner.

And the Barbizon, on East 63rd (although from the sounds of it, the Barbizon was a lot more expensive!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy