Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1939 HitchHikeDepot

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/04/17/hitch-hikers-get-a-waiting-room-of-their-own/

From Popular Science 1939:
Hitch-Hikers Get a Waiting Room of Their Own (Oct, 1939)

Performing the role of the good Samaritan to the nation-wide fraternity of automobile hitch-hikers, the owner of a service station in Albion, Mich., recently established a hitchhikers’ depot hard by his row of gasoline pumps. Nailed to a tree, a large sign visible to approaching motorists at a good distance, identifies the spot, while a painted hand, with the thumb outstretched in the traditional manner, does the spade work for tired hikers.
lrg_hitchhiker_waiting_room.jpg

dr greg

One Too Many
thumbs up

As someone who hitched tens of thousands of miles in my early years, I love that, but seriously, anybody who has ever stood by the side of a road for a couple of days in one spot while girls stroll up, put out the thumb and get the next car along would wonder about why such a sign was necessary for those featured, and I don't think things wuz much different back then neither.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24