Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940s 50s GERMAN "LUFTWAFFE" LEATHER BIKE/FLIGHT JACKET 38-40

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Next jacket up is an original mid-20th century German black leather cyclist/utility jacket. Jackets like this were made from the 1930s to the 60s and are often referred to as “Luftwaffe” jackets due to their popularity with WW2 fighter pilots. I'd say this one was from the 40s or 50s, but I'm no expert on Euro jackets.

This fits me well and I am a perfect 38 Regular (38” chest, 10 ¾ stone, 5ft 7“). From the measurements it might also fit a 40, but no promises!

Black leather - possibly a lighter weight horsehide. Plaid wool lining. Four zippered pockets. Internal wallet pocket with button flap. Buckle/strap waist adjustment. Press stud fastening cuffs and waist flap. Typical mid-century “Prym Original 6” press studs and brass “Ritsch” pocket zips. Replacement brass centre zip - probably 1970s/80s era but a good match for the jacket.

Leather is overall very good condition with typical wear for its age, as per the photos. Some splits to the right cuff have been backed with leather and stitch repaired. Small and unobtrusive paint spot next to lower right pocket. All zips and studs work. All pocket bags are intact. Lining is excellent and shows very little wear - this, plus signs of restitching to the collar, cuffs and waistband make me suspect the lining was professionally replaced when the zip was done.

It measures:
chest, armpit to armpit: 23”
Arms, down top edge: 23” straight, 24” curved.
Back, from base of collar: 22 ½”
Shoulders, straight across top back: 18 ½”
All measurements taken with garment fastened, laid flat, and with a cloth tape (not metal).

£225 plus postage.
UK postage £11 (special delivery).
I can find out international postage cost if you are interested.
PIX TO FOLLOW!

nightandthecity

Practically Family
1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG 12.JPG

nightandthecity

Practically Family
the measurements suggest it is technically a 40, but that would be in the close fitting period style. 41 would probably be pushing it!

nightandthecity

Practically Family
no problem! It's the pictures that sell things. I'm always staggered by the number of people who list on ebay with a one line description, two grainy pix from their mobile, and a three figure price!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner