Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"1940's Hairstyles" The book will break the bank

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I thought ART DECO HAIR was never released??? I had it "On Order" from amazon.com the second I caught wind of it in 2001. It was supposed to be released in Sept '01 (I think) then I kept getting emails from amazon saying that the release date was pushed back and pushed back until finally they sent me an email saying that the book won't become available and they have removed me from the ordering queue. I was very upset because I looked so forward to getting that book!!

I also had 1940's HAIR when it came out. I sold mine on ebay for $100. I wasn't really impressed with it mostly because I couldn't do any of the styles. Thin, silky, short, straight hair + 1940's huge hair = a no-go! I found the "directions" complicated, too. I wasn't so impressed with VINTAGE FACE, either, but I still have my copy (I just looked on amazon.com and it's going for $150.00!!) The old beauty recipes in the back are what I'm keeping it for.

misslizzy

New in Town
I have all three books - Vintage Wedding, Vintage Face and 40's Hair. I'm flabbergasted at the value! I had no idea.
I'm going to VLV this year - I could pay for the flight if I sold them. That's crazy!

Cherriexo

Familiar Face
I checked out Vintage Wedding and the 1940's one.Couldnt learn ANYTHING from 1940's hair.Even my then rommie,who is a great stylist had issues with what it taught.

Im more of a learner,when you show me.Show me pictures with words,action for action and I might be able to do it.But show me in person on a model,and Im set.Unfortunately,when I went to a class on 1940's wear and hair,I came too late for the hair part.Eh,I can figure out dresses...the hair is the hard part.

They need some ridiculous camp for this stuff,or a seminar or something.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i was just frustrated by the 1940s hair book again today! i got it for christmas the year it came out, and at first i was super-excited about it, and then realized that i couldn't figure out what the heck i was supposed to be doing in most of it! for the longest time i thought it was just me that was confused by it.

thank goodness so much decent instruction exists on the web today! i also should check out that other book being sold on ebay...

Cherriexo

Familiar Face
Things have heavily been expanded on the web from like 5-7 years ago when I finally made the commitment to get involved with the vintage lifestyle.

The class I went to through the Art Deco Society of DC was still a HUGE help on understanding makeup,clothes for men and women and hairstyles.

Brooksie

One Too Many
Hmmm I need to dig out my old cosmetology book (I went to beauty school in 1986) I learned all of the old tecniques on hair styling like finger waves, pin curls and shampoo sets. I am seriously hoping i did not get rid of my cosmetology book:eek: The book I had was written in the 60's but it is all of the old tecniques that were used way back when. If I come across it I guess I could make some copy's of the most neccesary parts for some people hmmm...maybe some interesting trades could be worked out...

PM if anyone is interested (in a copy of whatever particular hairstyle in a trade for something vintagely interesting?) and I will look for my book tommorow.

Brooksie

Brooksie

One Too Many
I found my cosmetology book, the original copyright date is: 1938, and then then revised in 1981. It has step by step directions (very in depth) on how to do finger waves, pin curls and rollor sets. If anyone is interested in copy's of these things PM me, and I will send copy's but maybe we could work out some kind of a trade in exchange.

Brooksie

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
I have Vintage Face and the 1940s Hairstyles books. Vintage Faces is nice; I like it. I have learned as much and more from the Powder Room, however. I did not really get much out of the 1940s hairstyle book. The tips & tutorials Jitterbugdoll, Fleur and others have posted are 100x more useful, IMO. In any case, I already had a booklet from 1948 called "How it's Done: Haristyles for You" by "Ivan of Hollywood" and "affectionately dedicated to Bette" that many of the illustrations and text in 1940s Hairstyles seem to be borrowed from.
xo

Brooksie

One Too Many
I also have the book vintage face-I like it a lot especially since I bought it about 5 years ago, when it was still in the book stores for only $12.95 instead of 100.00 to 400.00 & + on e-bay!

Brooksie

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I posted about this on the "Show Us Your Purchases" thread, but I just won a Limited Edition, First Printing of "1940's Hairstyles" by Daniela Turudich. I'm very glad that I won this, I think it might be considered a collectors item. Does anyone know how many printings/runs they actually did of this book? I don't think it was too many, I think that's why it's been so hard to find, and why people pay the money they do for it.
I'm gonna keep using the copy that I already have, since it's been through the ringer and has hairspray and gel on it. I think I'll leave this first edition alone, using it might affect its value.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Small world! Daisy, the seller you won this from is one of my best friends! Janine bought the book new at the RE-MIX shoe store a few years ago. It is indeed a first edition, predating the version with Gene Tierney on the cover. You got a very good value for it ... an identical copy sold on eBay a few days ago for nearly double the price.

You've seen Janine's marvelous vintage shoe collection before: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=12492&highlight=Janine Most of them she bought deadstock from RE-MIX, back when the store was still selling never-worn vintage shoes.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I think the only reason it goes for so much money in general is that the publisher went out of business, and it is not being printed right now. I believe that the first edition was much heavier with illustrations, and that when it was revised more photographs were added. However, it is my understanding that the book material may be purchased and the book can go into publication again, which would lower its value.

Daisy Buchanan

jitterbugdoll said:
I think the only reason it goes for so much money in general is that the publisher went out of business, and it is not being printed right now. I believe that the first edition was much heavier with illustrations, and that when it was revised more photographs were added. However, it is my understanding that the book material may be purchased and the book can go into publication again, which would lower its value.

I think that the later editions that are selling for a few hundred dollars might drop in value if it goes into publication again. But I think a first edition first printing could still go up in value, or at least hold it's value. At least this is the case with other kinds of books that are first editions.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I think it depends on the type of book in general. It's not a very informative one, and the author is not very well known (outside of the vintage lifestyle books she has done, much of which pulled heavily and directly from vintage works and were not her own words.) I think if another book or books related to 1940s hairstyles come out, the interest in this particular one will drop quite a bit. That’s just my thought on it though; I continue to hold onto my copy of the book just because. :)

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i'm curious, how much are the first editions going for? i bought mine the first time daniela brought them to satin ballroom. not in the best shape, but it's never been very helpful to me, and it's not like i have much sentimental attachment to it.... hmm.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
katiepickle said:
I feel really awful for this, but I stole mine from the library. They only charged me the original price ($15 or so) plus a restocking fee. When I get rich and famous I will have to donate alot of money to them to ease my guilty concious.

I did it, too.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
ShooShooBaby said:
i'm curious, how much are the first editions going for? i bought mine the first time daniela brought them to satin ballroom. not in the best shape, but it's never been very helpful to me, and it's not like i have much sentimental attachment to it.... hmm.

I sold my first edition for the same reasons. I didn't find the book to be very helpful. I sold mine about a year and a half ago for a $90 BIN to a gal in Germany. But, seeing the prices they are selling for now, I probably could have gotten a higher BIN. At the time, I was amazed someone bought it for $90 - I thought that was highway robbery!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
katiepickle said:
I feel really awful for this, but I stole mine from the library. They only charged me the original price ($15 or so) plus a restocking fee. When I get rich and famous I will have to donate alot of money to them to ease my guilty concious.
NoirDame said:
I did it, too.

No offense, but that's just AWFUL. Please, please return those two books! :(

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
CherryBombRock said:
I've just bout "1940s Hairstyles" off ebay for $100 - but I think I'm going to photocopy it and sell it on - I can't afford to pay that for a book and keep it!

Doing this is ILLEGAL: it violates copyright laws. Any online website will delete your listing and might kick you out permanently. Please don't go ahead with it!

Daisy Buchanan

Marc Chevalier said:
Doing this is ILLEGAL: it violates copyright laws. Any online website will delete your listing and might kick you out permanently. Please don't go ahead with it!

I think what she meant was that she was gonna photocopy it for her personal use and sell the original that she bought. I know photocopying copyrighted books is illegal, but if it is kept private and only for personal use, it might not be so terrible. Selling copies of the book for profit, that would be illegal. There is a seller on ebay who is selling a photocopied book about 1940's hairstyles, called something like "How to Dress Your Hair". She sent me a copy for free when I ordered some things from her. It is not an exact reproduction of "1940's Hairstyle's" but it does have sections taken directly from the book and other books as well. Such a scam!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo