Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1940's Men's Opera Cape (Black Wool/Red Satin + Lion Chain) For Sale

SirNadroj

New in Town
Howdy everyone!

I've been a longtime lurker here, first-time poster. Browsing the forums has inspired me to acquire all sorts of vintage garments, which means I need to sell some too. I don't consider myself a collector, so I only try to keep what I know I'm going to wear.

I bought this opera cape around this time last year to be worn with a Halloween costume. The seller (who was much more versed in vintage clothing than I was) explained to me this is circa 1940's. It is made of a nice black wool, and features a red satin lining. It is such a perfect, classic cape - perhaps perfect for somebody on here to wear regularly or to wear perhaps as part of the perfect Dracula costume? It also features a really neat lion chain, clasp at the collar and button down the front/middle. The label reads "Mister Carnaby" and measures across the shoulders 18" (since it's a draping cape, that measurement isn't definitive) and from the back of the collar to hem is 33". It's in immaculate condition.

I'm asking $300 USD but I'm always willing to consider offers. I'd just like to break even with it, hence my asking price. :) Here are a few photos for your consideration.

cape1.jpg

cape2.jpg

cape3.jpg

Many thanks for your consideration. Feel free to PM me if you're interested.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
You mention the label 'Mr Carnaby'. That would make me think that it is from the 1960s: Carnaby Street in London became a fashion centre in that period and capes made a brief reappearance in 'Swinging London' (1966/67?).
It would be interesting to see the label.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn